Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche Cayenne (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-cayenne-10/)
-   -   Trailer Hitch (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-cayenne-10/trailer-hitch-6001/)

mthaynes 05-16-2008 10:22 AM

Trailer Hitch

Well long story short, I was able to get almost the exact car I wanted except for one option.

My GTS came with the extremely unsightly trailer hitch. I was wondering if anyone had removed one or was aware of any covers that are available after market that would hide this hideous little gem

Thanks in advance

Cyclenirvana 05-18-2008 07:38 PM

RE: Trailer Hitch

Can't help you. One of the reasons I bought the Cayenne was related to its tow capacity which is quite substantial. But then again, I am probably one of the few Cayenne owners who actually drives the car offroad and tows with it...so probably not the right person to ask.

mthaynes 05-19-2008 03:12 PM

Well $1,555 to have the dam thing removed. At least I will have the hitch if a future owner wants in. I dont know about earlier models but this is definitly something that was not intended on the GTS.

It looks like the bumper was cut with a dremil

Otherwise the car is great.

Cyclenirvana 05-20-2008 10:12 AM

Actually, I think you made a good point. Keep it for future trade in purposes. This is one of the things that separates this car from other midsized SUVs from Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes...the Cayenne can tow almost 8000 lbs. This is one of the reasons you see these vehicles towing car trailers at various race tracks. You never see a BMW X5 or Lexus RX330 doing this.

SWISS 2 05-21-2008 10:20 PM

I had one installed after purchase by Porsche and the parts alone were $ 1500. No dremel tool but a knife to cut the notch for the wiring harness connector. The cut was done well.

The service department did the work, and the wiring harness was crossed which I found out later when I hitched our boat. They denied it at first, but I showed them the photos I had taken during the installation. Then the story changed to the fact that they had never installed a hitch on a Cayenne before ( probably true ). The correction was then made, as it should.

I would advertise your hitch parts for sale to any interested member here, as the Porsche hitch itself is pretty robust, and well made.

garfy 08-02-2008 05:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Cyclenirvana

Actually, I think you made a good point. Keep it for future trade in purposes. This is one of the things that separates this car from other midsized SUVs from Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes...the Cayenne can tow almost 8000 lbs. This is one of the reasons you see these vehicles towing car trailers at various race tracks. You never see a BMW X5 or Lexus RX330 doing this.
agree

katheikia 10-19-2008 11:31 AM

I have one too. Its the only thing I dislike about my Cayenne S...Can it be removed? Will I need a new bumper?

acassh 10-19-2008 02:54 PM

my gts came with a tow hitch too and i was wanting to take it off but in reality it doesnt show to much and it could be usefull one day if u ever need it.. and it cost more to take it off then hte actaul add on price.. over all this car is sick have u done anythign to it ?

EVANSINTL 04-30-2009 03:18 PM

cayenne hitch

mthaynes, if you are in S. Fla. , let me know and I'll help you out. The hitch is a Bolt up variety and the harness simply plugs in. Removal is easy enough and I'm looking for one.

KColvin 11-08-2009 12:08 AM

If any of you are still trying to get rid of your trailer hitches, let me know. I have a stock bumper for a 2006 cayenne S. I'm looking for the OEM tow hitch and wiring harness.