Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche Cayman S (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-cayman-s-36/)
-   -   Cayman S Cabin Heat Question (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-cayman-s-36/cayman-s-cabin-heat-question-1557/)

Cayman_S 03-08-2006 09:33 PM

Cayman S Cabin Heat Question

Hello, (this was originally posted under "General Porsche Chat" in error - Sorry...newbie mistake)

I’m a newbie to forums and will be a new Porsche Cayman S owner…I think…but I have a very important question I must ask any current Cayman S owners or anyone else that may have some info for me please. I was reading some articles about the Cayman S and loved everything I read except the following item noted in 2 different articles:

1) the engine behind you heats up the cabin noticeably
2) the mid-mounted engine makes life hard for the air-conditioning; the cabin serves up rump roast over frozen heart as a summer dish

I hate heat!! To give you an example of how much I hate heat; to say I hate heat would be similar to saying the Cayman S handles ok. Does anyone have any input as to how bad this cabin heat issue really is? I am (or was) within a couple days of ordering my Cayman S.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Lee Willis 03-20-2006 10:53 PM

RE: Cayman S Cabin Heat Question

I don't think it is really an issue, and if it is, that is what the AC is for.

Heat inside the car can be an issue in some high performance cars, such as with the new 505 HP ZO6, which apparently gets quite hot if you drive it hard. Chevy deliberately left out 30 lbs of heat insulation on the lower firewall, driveshaft tunnel, and rear cockpit, to cut weight: but I don't think Porsche went to those extremes with the Caymen.

pitbul 04-17-2006 02:22 AM

I have had my Cayman S now for two months. I have not noticed any heat build up at all--- NONE! I do not know where you got the articles from, but I have tracked my car and driven it hard and had no problem with any heat. By the way it handles like a dream and it sounds better than my 2005 997 S Cab that I sold to buy the Cayman S.
This car looks great and drives better than any Porsche that I have owned. I have had 8 Porsches, and this one is the most fun so far. My second favorite was the RS America. I have really enjoyed driving a 996 GT3; however this Cayman S is so easy to drive fast and hard. Enjoy your new car and don't worry about any heat build-up.
Cheers,
Fuze

lcarrandi 05-05-2006 12:18 PM

Hello, I just picked up my Cayman S last weekend... I think we both read the same article. However, I have not perceived it as a big issue - the back of the seat does become warm, but nothing so far that makes the ride uncomfortable. And to think I opted for the heated seats - oh well. Anyway, I was planning on driving from NYC to Montreal in June for the F1 race... I'll report back if it the ride is like being ina sauna.

Overall... I'm so enthralled by my new baby - it's truly amazing, I love it! My last car was a ‘02 BMW M5 – I don’t miss it all. The Cayman handles superbly. My dad has a 911 Cab, and is more impressed with my car.

MDR CaymanS 11-13-2006 06:00 PM

ORIGINAL: pitbul

I have had my Cayman S now for two months. I have not noticed any heat build up at all--- NONE! I do not know where you got the articles from, but I have tracked my car and driven it hard and had no problem with any heat. By the way it handles like a dream and it sounds better than my 2005 997 S Cab that I sold to buy the Cayman S.
This car looks great and drives better than any Porsche that I have owned. I have had 8 Porsches, and this one is the most fun so far. My second favorite was the RS America. I have really enjoyed driving a 996 GT3; however this Cayman S is so easy to drive fast and hard. Enjoy your new car and don't worry about any heat build-up.
Cheers,
Fuze

Thank you. I just purchased my first Porsche, an 07 Cayman S. Your write up above makes me feel a lot better.