Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche Cayman S (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-cayman-s-36/)
-   -   Cayman S - Service Feedback (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-cayman-s-36/cayman-s-service-feedback-1801/)

lcarrandi 05-24-2006 05:11 PM

Cayman S - Service Feedback

After only 300 miles, I took my car to the dealership's service department this morning. I was worried about the smell, heat, and rattle from the hatch - I'm usually no this paranoid, but hey, it's a new car! Anyway, I wanted to share my results:

The burning smell was from the overseas protective coating (which I assumed correctly, thank goodness - it was just really strong!) and regarding the heat form the dash…bit of a mystery, but they checked the car thoroughly for any leaks or instrumental issues (I have navigation) – found nothing that would cause excessive heat. We'll keep an eye our for that.

Also I mentioned a rattle from the hatch - the panel on the hatch was mounted incorrectly (which I found out was common among many of the Caymans - so buyers beware). Anyway, they took it apart, re-secured the clips, road tested, and it's ready to go home. Yes I’m relieved.

CTiggerPigglet 05-25-2006 08:47 AM

RE: Cayman S - Service Feedback

I love a happy ending![sm=vader.gif]

kentkman 07-28-2006 10:51 PM

I took delivery of my base Cayman last week and now have 800 miles on it. I have been very satisfied, but have also have a problem with hatch noise. For most bumps, the car is solid.....but for a big bump, it sounds like I have a box bouncing around in the trunk. I took it to the dealer and they checked/tightened the heat shields but did not find anything else. They speculated that the 5mph bumper was the problem....apparently it hangs out there rather unsupported. I decided not to press the point. Just what did they do to fix your thump?

lcarrandi 08-10-2006 02:25 PM

Hello Kent,

Sorry for the delayed response. Unfortunately for me, the clunk is still there - after I took my car in 2x's they can only offer a temporary fix - firmer bumper stops, felt padding, removing the weight (it's back on now)...still the same. I just returned from a long trip to Montreal, and experienced more bumps - including bridge expansion gaps, rough pavements, minor bumps, Montreal roads in general...anyway, clunk is still there and annoying. Porsche wants me to drop my car off again...I rather wait until they know a definitive solution. Many owners are employing a temporary fix - i.e. adjusting the mounts for the weight in the hatch and to cover the weight in felt tape - seems ridiculous.

Here's what another owner reported: "I have opted to remove the metal weight...but the result increases a sound pressure or extremely low frequency when the same bump is engaged. Theory suggests that Porsche discovered that the Cayman's hatch will produce this sound pressure or frequency when going over a particular bump and remedied the problem by attaching this poorly designed metal weight to the rear hatch. The mental weight will make contact with the surrounding hatch area and thus create our loud thumping problem we are now dealing with - I have requested my local dealer to remove the weight for now and request Porsche address the problem."

I will let you know if I hear anything else.