Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche Cayman S (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-cayman-s-36/)
-   -   Thinking of purchasing (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-cayman-s-36/thinking-purchasing-2095/)

Eric_S 08-24-2006 12:38 PM

Thinking of purchasing

Hello all. I'm reposting this from another forum. I wasn't able to find too many answers there. Thanks in advance.

I have been wanting a third car -- a toy of sorts -- for weekend cruises and evenings out with my wife. I've been looking high and low but nothing really gets my blood pumping. Recently I visited the Porsche Web site and looked at the Cayman. I love the styling. It’s a beautiful car. I'm not into "mods" and not into racing. In fact, I don't have time to tinker with cars and am not very mechanical. The Cayman S is a bit out of my price range but the Cayman is within reach. I have never owned a Porsche before and need some advice...

> Are there any know gremlins / problems with the Cayman?
> Do any current owners care to share any likes / dislikes of the car?
> How is Porsche service (maintenance)?
> How is it dealing with Porsche dealers? (Negotiable / won't budge on price?)
> Do Porsche's retain their value over time? This will be a low-mileage car only driven in the warmer months.
> How much should I expect to spend each year on maintenance of the car?

I feel like I need "Porsche for Dummies". I just don't want to get in over my head. Any answers, either here or via PM, are appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Lee Willis 08-27-2006 12:10 PM

RE: Thinking of purchasing

> Are there any know gremlins / problems with the Cayman?
It seems to have a good reputation, as it should -- many parts and drivetrain shared with the Boster and Carrera which have been out on the street for a while.

> How is Porsche service (maintenance)? I have been extremely pleased with the service and treatment I get at the Porsche dealer in Cary, NC. It probably varies from dealer to dealer though, so I would check out local people where you live.

> How is it dealing with Porsche dealers? (Negotiable / won't budge on price?). Dealer sales people are polite and try to oblige but you know how it is: demand and supply.

> Do Porsche's retain their value over time? This will be a low-mileage car only driven in the warmer months.
Yes and no. It depends on the rarity of the model, and Porsche builds and sells a lot of its standard models (Carreras, Boxters, Caymans, etc.) any more, so I would not expect tremendous retention of value. On the other hand, it's not going to depreciate like a Chevy or Dodge.

> How much should I expect to spend each year on maintenance of the car?
If you go back to the dealer for all service, it will be rather pricey: $500 for the 15000 mile check up, etc. But you can find ocmpetent local shops to do and document filiter changes, alignment, etc., and about two thirds the cost. The cars take a lot of oil and filters, etc., are a bit more than for other cars, but routine service is not too bad. Repairs can be costly on some models. I actually have my car serviced at the local Ford Dealer (but this is because my son is service manager and so I get good treatment I trust -- all the work done by the same technicians that work on the Ford GTs, etc.)

stormtroopar 10-30-2006 08:03 PM

Thanks for the reply, its helpful information.

Just got another question for Lee or anyone else.. How is your porsche or specifically the cayman or cayman S drive as a daily car. Lots of reviews these days says its a good car for daily driving as well as more exciting backroads / tracks. How is it really? Do you find it harsh, too stiff, or punishing? In LA, with the traffic and more and more cars, the road conditions isn't that great these days. My M3 can get a bit harsh from my everyday work commute (freeway and local streets). I am very interested in the cayman, but is it really okay for a daily driver and sometimes going through not the greatest road conditions.

Thanks!

Simon

Miracle 05-03-2007 06:43 PM

Although Porsche drives well, it is a headache when you have problems with it.
Lexus and Infiniti are better! Even Mini Cooper S convertible?

Lee Willis 05-04-2007 09:50 PM

Well, I disagree. I have had no problems with my Porsche in 2 years, but have had problems with Lexus (dealer seems to think classiness and pretense were excuses for lack of good diagnosis).

winchester21 05-13-2007 11:21 AM

I have 2 words for anyone considering a cayman- DRIVE IT!!!!. If that does not convince you on the spot, then go buy a BMW/Lexus/infinity or whatever.Go for the S. Worth the difference now and later on when you sell it.I am telling you- this is the most bang for the buck for under 100 grand.I use mine for a daily driver with no issues other than having to shift gears in traffic.(Eveything is a tradeoff). I am constantly finding excuses to go somewhere so I can drive this car. Forget the other stuff. Distant second place at best.

mytrplseven 06-08-2007 06:31 PM

If you're still vacillating about whether to buy it or not, I bought an "S" about 3 weeks ago and never looked back. I love this car. Look at the required maintenance schedule and know that you don't have to do something every 3,000 miles like a lot of other cars. It rides great, has a "power growl" that will stir your manly hormones, gets good gas mileage (assuming you can live with modest pedal pressure) and it gets noticed by everyone. German engineering really shows up on this "very tight" automobile and it has so much unusual room to put things. Just do it. You'll never regret it.

tinchao 07-07-2007 03:48 AM

Hi, Stromtroopar, I don't own a Cayman, but I have a 06 Boxster S, I would suggest you go for the S, much more kick when you step on it. Boxster and Cayman they are very similar car, the both have the enginee at you back, most likely sound the same. Handle the same. I drive it everyday, I put 5000 miles on it in 3 months. It handle well. I suggest you test drive both the base and the S and see the difference, I will never go back to the base model. Infact, I am looking into more HP for my next car, may be a Carrera S.

mytrplseven 07-09-2007 12:59 AM

My wife "forced me" to buy a Cayman S because my 87 944 smelled like an old car. [:@] Well it smelled like an 87 944 and was prestine. But you have no idea what going from 143hp to 295hp plus higher lower end torque is like until you've experienced it. Drive the S or the standard.....You'll love it. It's tight, beefy sounding and a 6 speed, close synchro that is a joy (reverse gear is unfortunately in the WRONG place on the shifter. Too easy to get R when you want 1st). The ride is not harsh with the standard, non-adjustable suspension and makes a great driver around town. The standard features are great and the upgrades are a personal choice. The standard CD24 radio unfortunately doesn't have any capability to use an ipod or mp3 (no aux input option) and I'm still trying to figure that out. It is capable with the Nav system audio option ($$). I like ipods for long trips. The fit and finish is pure Porsche and at 125mph (don't tell anybody) it's hands-off stable on the highway. Very positive steering and with the tire pressure display on the speedo, you'll always know how balanced your tires are. Really cool! Loads of room for stuff in front and rear and seats, although firm, are very comfortable on the long legs. A/C takes care of itself and goes into temporary overdrive if the cabin is real warm/hot just to quickly cool things off. If you do break down and do this I also suggest purchasing the invisible bra (3M film clear overlay) at a local operator. It really protects the vulnerable front end and mirrors from rock chips and bug acid. At around $600, it'll really protect the paint finish from damage. On google see: automotive paint protection film. As they say at Nike, "Just do it".

Ralph In Florida

Private_Joker 07-18-2007 11:56 PM

ORIGINAL: winchester21

I have 2 words for anyone considering a cayman- DRIVE IT!!!!. If that does not convince you on the spot, then go buy a BMW/Lexus/infinity or whatever.Go for the S. Worth the difference now and later on when you sell it.I am telling you- this is the most bang for the buck for under 100 grand.I use mine for a daily driver with no issues other than having to shift gears in traffic.(Eveything is a tradeoff). I am constantly finding excuses to go somewhere so I can drive this car. Forget the other stuff. Distant second place at best.
Best bang for the buck under 100k? I'm thinking of a car, it's not European or Asian, it has 505 hp and 475 ft lbs tq... It weighs just a little over 3100 lbs, has a carbon fiber hood and fenders, goes 200 mph, and competes with F430's in every direct comparison. Oh yeah, a C6 Z06. Forget anything ever said about "best bang for the buck" when it comes to the Cayman... Honestly, I love the car... But don't kid yourself, it can't come close to the value of a Z06. All of that, and it comes well equipped for 12-15k more than the Cayman S. Things I didn't even mention: Chevrolet dealers are everywhere, parts would be much cheaper, easier to work on so labor time is less, dealers charge less per hour, and less maintenance procedures to be done... The list goes on. (Keep in mind, all of this is being said by a guy who hates GM and is a huge fan of Porsches/Ferrari's, I just have to give credit where it is due.)

That being said, if you've decided you like the look of the Cayman, I too would agree that it is worth it to buy the S. It's only 4 seconds slower around the nurburgring than a 911 turbo, and it has what, 185 hp less? Great handling car, a blast to drive. I think these owners (winchester in particular) are just a wee bit biased towards the car based on the fact that they've put a lot of money into it, and I'm sure it's a nice car to have regardless... Sticking to the facts, I see better cars in the same general price range but if you want to stick closer to the $50k mark the Cayman would be a good way to go. Good luck on whatever decision you happen to make, keep us updated.