Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Street/Strip (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/street-strip-34/)
-   -   10 Week Prison ,3 Year Drive Ban -172 MPH (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/street-strip-34/10-week-prison-3-year-drive-ban-172-mph-4304/)

Big Bob 09-25-2007 06:08 AM

10 Week Prison ,3 Year Drive Ban -172 MPH

What are Forum Members views on the English guy, who received a 10 week prison sentence and a 3 year driving ban for doing 172 mph on the A420 at Oxford UK recently in a 997 Porsche Turbo. This was not the drivers car - infact his employer said he was not to take the vehicle for a spin, he was not insured, and he also had a passenger. The Police were very concerned about the drivers behaviour and the personal and public risks incurred.
My views are 1) that it does not give us Porsche drivers who own their own cars and who are responsible drivers"good press". 2) While the joy of a Porsche is its handling and speed, you have to be aware of the potential on a busy road of other less able drivers/pedestrians and the risk of high speed collision and the consequences for life and limb. 3) As this driver was clocking about 2.5 times faster than the national speed limit (70mph), I believe the Judge was lenient wit a 10 week prison sentence.
What does everybody else think?

Lee Willis 09-25-2007 02:33 PM

RE: 10 Week Prison ,3 Year Drive Ban -172 MPH

A lot of us speed, some significantly, but on abandoned back roads with a certain amount of planning and consideration that there are no other drivers around.

This guy was a moron, had already broke other rules (including his employer's instructions not to drive the car) and laws, and was hazarding many other people.Probably the prosecutor was unable to apply the law for a harsher penalty, but he definately deserved more.

Deaner 10-13-2007 10:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

A lot of us speed, some significantly, but on abandoned back roads with a certain amount of planning and consideration that there are no other drivers around.

This guy was a moron, had already broke other rules (including his employer's instructions not to drive the car) and laws, and was hazarding many other people. Probably the prosecutor was unable to apply the law for a harsher penalty, but he definately deserved more.

I entirely agree. I'll be the first to tell you, once I see a straight open road, i get on that gas pedal like a fat lady on a cheescake. BUT I make sure that there is nobody around, no clutter, no chance of dead stop traffic up ahead.
People don't take into understanding that even though YOU personally know how to drive, doesn't mean that others do.

I once came into a situation where I was on a highway coming home, over 100mph, and i moved to the left lane to pass a fellow in the middle lane (avoiding the right side pass just in case he was going to suddenly get off for an exit). He obviously saw me coming up from the lights, and didn't see my signal to move to the left lane, and he moved to the left, almost making it to the point of me loosing control, i had to instantly jerk the car to the right, to avoid him.

So even though your a good driver....excuse my language. But it doesn't mean ****. lol

cmilam 02-23-2008 10:00 AM

We all do it, some aren't as lucky as others. Wow, 10 weeks in prison. Glad I don't live in the UK. In the US, we just lose our license. By the way, every Porsche is a radar target for the police.