Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Street/Strip (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/street-strip-34/)
-   -   Everyone wants a race (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/street-strip-34/everyone-wants-race-5274/)

cmilam 02-23-2008 09:57 AM

Everyone wants a race

It seems that whenever I drive up to the light, there is always someone next to me trying to race...mostly young kids with thier Honda Civics or Neons. I find it hilarious. The other day there was a Camero trying to race me, and he was slightly behind me on acceleration, but then almost flipped when we went into a turn. I don't need to tell you guys how well a 911 takes a turn.:)

k2we 02-23-2008 06:14 PM

RE: Everyone wants a race

I find the same thing here in New York. Every Tom, Dick and Harry in a Honda with a loud muffler wants to race.. I just ignore them and they go away.. Guess they will never learn..

Steve (k2we) Saratoga Springs, NY

Lee Willis 02-23-2008 08:45 PM

A lot of Acura, Neon, and Mitsi owners, particularly the young ones,regard Porsche as the ultimate and just want to see it run hard: they know they will lose but they get a good show and some of them actually believe they are showing a bit of respect for the cars by doing so: I've talked to a few of them and generally they're not bad kids.

But be careful about Camaros. Most have a V6 and are Camry-slow.Many V8s -- either Z28 or SSs are quicker,but particularly those driven by young guys, even if loud and "modified," aren't fast: low 13s or high 12s in the standing start quarter mile: they'll beat my Tipronic Carrera soundly but not much else of recent Porsche vintage.
But there are more than a few out there that will hand the owner of any stock model Porsche, even a Carrera GT, his ass on a platter:licensed and streetable cars cruising around looking for fun and maybe the odd race for a few bucks that can do low tens or high nines in the quarter mile time after time. I've know, because I own one -- and I can count on it for 10.2s on drag radials and 9s on slicks. A moresignificant pointthough -- it's not the fastest streetable Camaro around here by quite a bit.

cmilam 02-23-2008 10:49 PM

Good points Lee, but do the V8 stock Camaro's hang with the stock Posche's in turns? My uncle owned a Camero and it wasn't tight in the turns.

PorscheDoc 02-24-2008 09:14 AM

Lee makes a good point. There is always someone with a sleeper out there. My 951 is built as a sleeper, and will hang with a new 997TT in straight line acceleration. It is also a good business tool for me, as afterwards I usually tell them that I can make their car so that won't happen again, lol!

cmilam 02-24-2008 01:20 PM

I agree. Guess I was referring to stock vs stock. I've seen sooped up VW Beetles that would blow a lot of cars off the road.

Lee Willis 02-25-2008 05:58 PM

I love sleepers. Don't know if anyone on the forum reads Hot Rod. Good article in the most recent issue about a guy with an old Ford Fairmont -- even has rust along the fender wells and a stock (worn) interior -- into which he put a recent LS series V8 (and a big gold Chevy bow tie on the grill -- nice touch) with only budget modifications. The thing was seriously fast but surely didn't look it.

A fast car is a good advert PorscheDoc, but probably more important than the speed is that you've made the mods with very high, consistent quality, showing really high workmanship,and the car is a daily driver (or could be) and is dependable enough for that: I think when picking a shop most people select on the basis of the quality of craftsmanship they see in other cars done there -- I certainly do. Speed you generally buy through the purchase of good aftermarket parts (i.e., RUF and etc. for Porsche), but if and how it works on your car, and more important if it will stay together and last -- that's due to the skill and knowledge of the mechanics making the mods.