Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Street/Strip (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/street-strip-34/)
-   -   Three Way with New ZO6 (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/street-strip-34/three-way-new-zo6-1293/)

Lee Willis 12-10-2005 04:17 PM

Three Way with New ZO6

First I will apologize for being a hypocrite, I know that technically this was wrong and I've preached against street racing, but we sort of had to do it and we were careful.

My Porsche wasn't involved here (it would have been mauled) but I thought this might be of interest.

We did a three-way last night with a new ZO6 belonging to a an acquiantance (2800 miles), with LT headers, K&N fliter, and a tune (480 RWHP) and 345s, but otherwise stock, who just had to see if he could beat us. Went to a new 4-lane segment under construction for an interstate bypass near here, didn't have to move any barriers just drove around them, then did an up and donw on it slow to check for debris and check it out; left a friend at the end for safety (and with a police monitor-- a different type of safety), and then did some drags.

We did a standing start, best two out of three (ended up only doing two). Times are best for each car, using calibrated (means we adjusted it to agree at the drag strip last time we were there) G-force units. We loaned our older model (without the memory or side_g readings) to the guy with the new ZO6. But the race was decided by a markeer we put down at a measured 1/4 mile.
It was a very cool night, 37 degrees, and very dry, bright moon, good weather.

2006 ZO6, LT headers and K&N, re-tuned, M6 3.42 rear end, 345 drag radials - 11.2 @134 mph
2002 ZO6, C5R 427/D1SC supercharger, M6, 3.42 rear end, 345 drag radials - 10.2@142 mph
1998 Camaro w. 408 and 150 jetted NOS, M6 3.37 rear end, 315 drag radials - 9.9@140 mph

The drag radials? They fit on the new ZO6, stock, barely, on 18" x 12" wheels - this was a spare set we keep that actually a bit stickier than the ones we run on ours cars all the time. Figured it would not be a consistent race otherwise unless all three had drag radials. But I would not recommend running them on the street all the time given the tight, tight fit on the new stock ZO6 (my vette has tubbed wheel wells to clear them).

Just can't get my vette to beat the Camaro off the line, even though it finishes higher at the end. The Camaro's 700 ft lbs of torque with the NOS is just awesome as it comes off the line (also my son is just better launching a car, any car). Actually lifted a front wheel off the ground (does both when running slicks). It got as much as six lengths ahead and all my vette could do was slowly reel it in, about a length every two seconds.
To put these times in perspective: at the end of the 1/4 mile, there was 2 1/2 car lengths from the back of the Camaro to the front of my Corvette, and about 8 lengths from the back of my vette to the front of the newer one. Still, LT headers and drag radials cut a half second and added 6 mph to the most often quoted times for the stock 06 ZO6. If my anemic little Carrera 2 had been there, it would have been over 3 seconds behind, and only a bit past the 1/8th mile marker when the other three did the 1/4.

And yeah, I know we shouldn't have done this, first time in years I run on anything but a track. Still, it had to be done. The guy is a friend but had been hounding us and we had big bucks riding on it. We got the beat money from him after the win but the bastard drove off with our drag radials.

PR MAN 12-12-2005 10:56 AM

RE: Three Way with New ZO6

Okay, so you're a hypocrit, we've all been there. I find it impossible to turn down a challenge when we used to go out cruising in our Mustang (its up on blocks for the winter now, putting in a new crate engine), must be even harder when you have a car that sort of advertises its willingness to run, so to speak.

The vette sounds incredible, but I have got to see the Camaro someday when I'm down there. Damn, 700 ft lbs at the rear wheels, and less than 10 seconds in the quarter mile? Is it really streetable? Are you coming to the next upgrade engineering meeting (at Harris next week) could you drive it out to that?

Lee Willis 12-12-2005 05:18 PM

I missed the last one, but inside-the-containment isn't really my thing and I needed to be in Honolulu on another project (yeah, its a tough job, but you know what they say . . ). I plan to be at the next since it will review the switchyard plan. Harris is one of the few places. Maybe I can drive it out there. The Camaro is driveable on the street, idles at 1200, loud, shaky (solid motor mounts, subframe connectors), but mainly it is the locker rear axle that makes it rough: the thing locks if any torque is going through it, so you have to remember to push in the clutch when you go around any corner.

Harris is one of the few places I'd dare to take it. Its only a short drive through three lights, on what are really back roads, to US 1 and then a straight shot out about ten miles to the turn off to Harris. I could probably live with the car on that drive. It will depend on the weather. Roads have to be absolutely dry. If they aren't you can swing by the house on the way back to the airport, really no but five minute out of the way.

billythekid 01-26-2006 09:33 PM

Hey Lee: You sure got some nice toys! :)

Lee Willis 01-27-2006 08:20 AM

Yes, I'm kind of blessed in that regard.

Don't have enough, either. Looking for something fun from the mid-late 60s, either a 66 Mustang fastback with the Hi-Po 289, or a 68 Camaro 396 SS.