Notices
All Other Porsche Models Post Your Questions and Comments on Any of Porsche's other Models that are not listed above.

porsche 987 - boxster s - starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 02:42 AM
Default porsche 987 - boxster s - starting problem

i left the car for 6 weeks and battery needed recharging. put it on trickle charge and started first time like normal. a short while later went to start again and a strange clicking noise and the front headlights flashing on and off when key turned in the ignition. if i get a jump start from a donor motor it starts.

anyone had a similar experience? just bought the battery about six months ago? any pointers would be appreciated, car only five years old and done 28k miles and normally so well behaved!

gavin

Old 09-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Did you fully charge the battery after it was dead, or charge it just enough to start? If it happened after the battery was fully charged, sounds like a bad battery to me unfortunately. If you don't drive the car very often, the batteries will go bad in a short period of time. Do not use the Porsche/Molle batteries, they are known to be junk. I prefer a group 48 interstate battery.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Default porsche 987 - boxster s - starting problem - thanks porschedoc

Thank you very much for your prompt reply and assistance.

I have switched batteries (took an exide one from wife's car) and the car started like usual. To double check I tried the dud battery on the wife's car and it is as you say - a bad one. Will have to purchase a new one.

One further favour to ask - when I start the car it ticks over just fine but makes quite a tappety noise - just recently had it serviced - new plugs, oil, filters etc. It goes like a train but is there anything to be concerned about the noise or is it quite normal?

Cheers

Gavin

Old 09-06-2010, 02:45 AM

if it is consolation mine is exactly the same goes like a train but makes a whiney tappety noise when idling,sorry I don't have an answer but would be interested to know if we have a problem.

Regards
John

Old 09-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Default Porsche 987 - Idle noise

Thanks John,

How old is your boxster s - would be interested to know?

I hope porschedoc can join the discussion as he is most knowledgeable about the marque.

All the best

gavin