Notices
All Other Porsche Models Post Your Questions and Comments on Any of Porsche's other Models that are not listed above.

Porsche Technicians?????

Old 01-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Default Porsche Technicians?????

Hey all, new to post and was wondering... I am very much interested in gaining an education in Porsche vehicles, to become a porsche technician. I was wondering if any techs would be willing to gives me some heads up and downs about looking into a career as such. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance. Ryan PM's welcome

Old 01-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Default RE: Porsche Technicians?????

Let me start off by saying to anyone else out there, I am not inviting a conflict. Now that's out of the way, where were we? Oh yes, my advice to you is to get a college education in a different field. Save the cars as a hobby. Get a well paying job so you can afford that hobby. I really don't feel like getting too deep on this in an open forum, so if you have further questions e-mail me.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: grayghost951

Let me start off by saying to anyone else out there, I am not inviting a conflict. Now that's out of the way, where were we? Oh yes, my advice to you is to get a college education in a different field. Save the cars as a hobby. Get a well paying job so you can afford that hobby. I really don't feel like getting too deep on this in an open forum, so if you have further questions e-mail me.
Wise words, a base education is extremely important (business would be a great start), and technicians make pretty good money at dealerships. I know a couple of lead techs at local VW and Porsche dealerships that bring in well over 80k a year. Of course, many of the larger well paying dealerships require a 4 year degree of some sort. The key to making money working on cars is to be very fast and efficient. If you are not a very fast wrench, you will only squeak by.

Porsche utilizes UTI training schools. Basically you enter their program, and if you are good enough, you can enter into the Porsche based program. Once you complete that, then you can get picked up by a dealer.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:15 PM

Well all I have ever known is wrenches, and I happen to be at UTI now. The porsche program is very hard to get into, they take like 24 total students evey year. I doubt ill have any issues carrying a 4.0 th entire time at school but does not guarentee placement in the course. Its the most challenging course they offer which is the appeal for me. I guess im curious about those employed by porsche, and how they like that specific field. If i was interested in money id go back and work in the desert again for 150k no tax, but I'm very driven to go after this thing....

Old 02-16-2009, 11:49 PM

Well, at least you're not in it for the money. As far as satifaction goes, well let's just say I still haven't found that place yet and neither have many that I've known over the years. I worked at a dealer with two UTI/Porsche program techs. That was four years ago and it's been years since they left the field. They tired quickly of all the s**t politics, etc. involved. Actually the key to making money is to be fast, period. Efficiency, accuracy, cleanliness of work all fall down the list as long as you are fast and make them money. Seen too many monkeys making 80-100K haphazardly hanging parts or even flat out cheating people. As long as their car count was 20-30-40 percent higher than mine, there was nothing management would listen to from me. Well, that's enough ranting. I wish you luck and hope this really is the path for you.
Personally 150K no tax in the desert sounds really good even if I do heatstroke out.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:44 AM

You might try working at a Ford or Toyota for many years until you exchange to a Porsche dealership. I like your concept of being a auto mechanic, I have a friend that has been a technical for about 15 decades, 5 at a store that does great end cars.