Notices
Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here...

2000 Corvette Torch Red - Full correction + Fuzion

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Former Sponsor
Default 2000 Corvette Torch Red - Full correction + Fuzion

2000 Corvette Torch Red - Full correction + Fuzion
By Matt S

Did this for a local Corvette Forum member. It's a 2000 Corvette, Torch Red in color. 42,000 miles but I never would have guessed it. Aside from the swirling, and maybe 2-3 unnoticeable rock chips, the entire car was immaculate. My clay barely picked up anything, and he said it's never been clayed before which shocked me. The paint was incredibly smooth.

The customer decided to hang out while I did the car. Good thing he brought lunch and a chair, because it took me 7 hours.

I started out with a P21S wash, clayed with DP, then pulled the car in the garage.

At this point I decided to test some combos, to see what could combat the TERRIBLE swirls that covered the hood and bumper. I'm guessing someone used a brillo pad to scrub bugs off these panels, since the rest of the car had pretty average swirling while the bumper and hood were considered severe.

I started out with a 3.5" purple foamed wool pad on the PC and Wolfgang TSR 3.0. Nothing. Next, tried Optimum Hyper Compound. Nothing. The strongest stuff I have is 1Z Intensiv Paste, and it took 2-4 passes on both panels with either a PFW or yellow cutting pad. Total time spent on the hood and bumper alone = 2 hours.

I then polished the rest of the car using the Wolfgang 3.0 polishes and the FLEX XC3401 VRG. Tires were dressed with Poorboy's Bold n Bright, exhaust tips were polished with Menzerna metal polish.

The car was then hand waxed w/Fuzion, which made a much bigger difference than I had expected. This wax continues to impress me.

On with the pics...here is what the paint looked like after washing and claying. I didn't spend too much time taking "before" pics, but these give you a pretty good idea of how bad it was.

And after

Overall, the customer was very satisfied. Hell, I was even surprised at how good it came out. I've never seen a finish look so wet - Fuzion definitely took it to another level. All comments are welcome!