Notices
Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your insides here...

Check Engine light

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 02:11 PM
Default Check Engine light

The check engine light came on on my 996 just before I had it picked up from my nieces. I can't get it inspected while that's on. Are there any quick checks I can do to just see if it's something minor.

Some specs, 2000, 996, 18.5K miles, it has sat quite a bit since last October when my brother passed away. The dealers ONLY mechanic quit on Thursday and the next closest one is 100 miles away, but hasn't returned my phone call or email.

Old 07-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Check Engine light

You need to get the code read down first, places like auto zone usually have a generic OBDII reader that will tell you what code it is. If you can get me the code, I can tell you what it is. Most likely a MAF sensor needs to be cleaned. IIRC the cheap way to reset the light is to disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes. Just make sure you have your radio code handy.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:42 PM
Default RE: Check Engine light

ORIGINAL: PorscheDoc

You need to get the code read down first, places like auto zone usually have a generic OBDII reader that will tell you what code it is. If you can get me the code, I can tell you what it is. Most likely a MAF sensor needs to be cleaned. IIRC the cheap way to reset the light is to disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes. Just make sure you have your radio code handy.
Thanks Doc.... Would it come on when the annual service is required/due? My niece seems to think she recalled my brother saying that a year ago when it came due, before he passed away. I'm at a disadvantage with out the owners manual.. Knowing how OBDII works it could have just been a stumble or plug foul that activated it. It's a steady light and not flashing, so if it's like other OBDII systems it's not a major problem being reported. I retightened the gas cap too, but it seemed tight. Is that how this system works as well?

The service manager, who I know, gave me the name of the mechanic who quit and I called him. When he gets back from vacation next week I'm going to take it to him and he said he will get me fixed up.
Thanks, Bob

Old 01-23-2011, 09:48 AM

most probably this is the problem with either the oil of the air filter, check that.