Notices
Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here...

Car Cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Default Car Cover

Darn, wish I'd found this forum earlier so I could have asked about reputable companies before buying from CCC

I wanted to protect and cover my new baby, but didn't particularly like the car covers Porsche offered at their dealerships, so looked aftermarket.
There's a Miata in the same garage as me, and he had a nice thick soft cover that fit very well...but alas don't know the owner, and cover is unmarked so I don't know who made it.

Lots of choices, and finally settled on the "California Car Cover " company. Advertises itself as a custom maker.. and can make to your specs for specialty oddball vehicles, in addition to a wide variety of current vehicles

I ordered a custom fit cover for my model and for the year.
After a rather longish wait....(what they don't have them in stock? Surely a boxster is a relatively common?!?!?!?!) it arrived.

However, Not the best of fits overall, a tad sloppy, and certainly NOT a good fit around the mirrors. The pockets are stretched to their limit in fact putting stress on the stitching, and not allowing the mirrors to be folded back for protection.

Calls to the company met with friendly reception when I initially called, but information and assessment ofthe problem were never returned. I had to call back, a couple times, They promised some action, but took none. Sent photos to show the clear problem, no feedback since.

In short the cover does not fit well at all.
They do not actually make the covers (although one is led to believe so from their website-turns out they are simply a re-seller of all kinds of auto related items andgimcrackery)
They do not at all seem concerned about the poor fit and customer satisfaction

and so overall I do NOT recommend buying from the California Car Cover company

love my Porsche, do not like CCC !

Old 01-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Default RE: Car Cover

What about getting someone to cut off the Mirror pockets and machine back in a say 1.5 inch piece of elastic to rejoin the pocket to the rest of the cover to give you a little more flrxibility when assembling the cover. I did this for an Aston cover in the past after it shrunk after a wash, to save it from just throwing it away?
Is the interior of the cover nice and soft, because that is the most important feature of a car cover to protect the paint and not scratch it!
Regards Big Bob

Old 01-14-2008, 06:42 PM

The inner surface is..well seems to be non-harsh but also seems to be the same material marketed by several companies.
As for sewing in some extra material, well that's certainly an option, but the point is, after spending couple hundred bucks on something allegedly custom fit for the specific model and year, one would expect the cover should fit properly and not be severely stretched in any area, nor sloppy elsewhere. Note the fit is -OK- elsewhere but certainly not what I would consider a very good fit. As there is no variation in standard unmodified car, seems to me they could make a better fit overall.

As these are undoubtedly machine cut to specific patterns (and not hand-made) i cannot understand how such a glaring error in cut could be made on a standard and (relatively) common car! One would think they would test the products they sell, but in addition to theesceptionally bad fit around the mirrors, I'm also dismayed at their lack of response (lack of concern?) over what is essentially a shoddy product they sell. There are plenty of other companies out there other than California Car Cover, anyone bought a custom fit cover they are completely satisfied with (fit-quality) ?

Old 02-27-2008, 07:46 PM

thanks for the warning man! I have the coverking triguard on my ride because I don't want another stray baseball incident to damage my fave car even when it's in my garage. Now I will surely avoid that store as I plan on having new seat covers soon.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:12 PM

good tips, I'm in the market for a good cover

Old 02-28-2008, 07:01 PM

Sadly this could probably have been easily resolved by California Car Cover had they bothered to communicate with me following my phone calls and emailed photos of the very obvious problemofthe poor fit.

As they have notkept any of their several promises to get back to me on this, I can only conclude thatthey again simply do not seem to be concerned about customer satisfaction or the very poor fit of their "custom-fit" car cover.

It's also supposed to be a 4-layer, though when a looked at the sewn edge I could see only 3-layers. When I mentioned this, they said "oh that's because the 4th layer is a very thin film layer.".
OOooo Kaaay.. I suppose that's possible, and I haven't actually looked at it with a magnifying glass to veryify or not as it'sin winter storage..but I will.

BTW. mine is a 2005, and just to verify, I tried it on a 2002 parked in the same garage..and...exact same very poor fit problem !!!

Anyone who does buy an aftermarket cover they are satisfied with, please let us know!

Old 03-16-2008, 09:49 PM

I had the same prob with my Porsche 911, but I patiently search on the net, the most elegant car cover. Luckily, Ifound one that perfectly captivated my sight. From that time on, I purchase auto parts on that site. They guarantee good items and would definitely give you the best.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:13 PM

I just bought one on ebay. Nothing fancy, 3 layers, non abrasive, etc for less than $800. It fits pretty good, but not perfect. Of course I park my car in the garage so was just looking for good dust control, door ding protection. If you park outside a lot you may want something better.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:14 PM

oops, I meant less than $80 not $800--that would have been one heck of cover.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:01 AM

I just bought my custom cover from luxury Covers and the fit was good, but what was great was the fact I received a free storage bag. I wasn't aware of it and didn't even requested when checking out but still received it! It's not $80 but for being custom I can't complain!
The cover looks good and it's a very nice quality fabric.
So far....a nice shopping experience, easy!!!

Quick Reply: Car Cover