Notices
General Porsche Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Porsche's many models...

911 ride impressions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Default 911 ride impressions?

Hey All, I'm looking for opinions on the "daily driver" driveability of the 911 compared with other vehicles. I'm in the market for a later model 911 ( 03-05 C4S?) but thought I should ask current owners how stiff the ride is.
My main concern is how jarring the shock is when hitting potholes or sudden dips / bumps. I have a couple compressed disks in the ol' spine. The pain inflicted by the rough ride has mandated me selling other sports cars over the years. I drive an S-class daily with no problems ( surprise). Most vehicles I have a problem with have very little suspension travel and hit the bump stops easily. Notably the Z4 and Speed3. On those, I did not realize the issues during test drives but living with them was another story.
How would you rate the 911?

Any inputs are welcome.
Thx,
Jeff

Old 08-16-2008, 01:15 AM
Default RE: 911 ride impressions?

Well, this is a tough one to answer - not knowing your actual sensitivity to the ride quality of these cars. I have a 2005 997S and when the ride is in standard mode (suspension is not set to 'stiff/performance' mode), it is very reasonable for a sports car. I've certainly never experienced hitting the bump stops in either mode, but I live in the CA Bay Area and the roads, though imperfect, are not laden with pot holes.
However, given the cars that you've cited (e.g. Z4) having given you problems don't have substantially different ride characteristics than the 997S (they have substantially different handling characteristics, but not ride characteristics), I think you're taking a significant risk.
I DO use my Porsche as a daily driver, and consider it quite comfortable - or rather, suitably comfortable for a sports car. But it is in no way a sedan - European or otherwise.
I suggest a thorough test drive at the least - with a chance to take it over a long stretch of the most problematic pavement. And be sure that the tires are inflated properly when you do.