Notices
General Porsche Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Porsche's many models...

944 porsche resael

Old 12-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Default 944 porsche resael

hi, i have a 86 944 non turbo porsche that i am in the midst of replacing the water pumpand after reading about a 1000 pages am now fairly confident of the procedure. the problem is that while open i did see signns of oil leakage but am really not sure of from where so plan on replacing them all. the cheapy manuals that i have seem to be far too general as to the procedure i.e. what do you take off to get to them,crankbalance shafts, and cam i have workied on american cars for years but interpreting an european manual seems to require a new skill that i have not yet mastered.any help would be greatly appreciated sam

Old 12-14-2006, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 944 porsche resael

Start by replacing your front engine seals, mylar seals, and o rings. You will have to remove the upper balance shaft housing (the end cap, not the side housing), there is an o ring, wiper seal, spacer sleeve, and mylar seal to replace there. Then the same on the lower balance shaft front housing, which also doubles as the power steering pump mount. Again, an o ring, mylar seal, spacer sleeve (if it has a groove in it from the wiper seal, replace it or it will continue to leak) and wiper seal. For the crank, you will need to lock the flywheel from turning, then take off the crank bolt (15/16 or 24mm), pull all the gears. Then remove the spacer washer, oring (replace), pull the oil pump drive sleeve (replace if grooved), then you can replace the wiper seal.

For the cam tower, I highly recommend removing it and doing it all on a bench. There is a wiper seal, rubber seal, o ring, spacer sleeve, and mylar seal that need to be replaced, as well as the cheesehead bolt. Make sure to locktite it going back together.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:38 PM

porsche doc, that has certainely cleared up a pile of things for me. this may sound like a really stupid question but am i correct in assuming that all the pullies, tensioners etc. have to come off in order to take the black plastic cover off in order to get at everythingand that it is just the bolt on piece at the end of the cam that comes off for resaling. as stated this may sound like a really dumb question to you but some of my greatest screwups have come as a result of assuming something without really knowing.. thanks again for your help and i will keep you posted as to progress.i do notice some fresh oil in the vicinity of wher the upper front balance shaft housing bolts on . have you seen them leak there .. thanks again

Old 12-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, all the tensioners and idler pulleys will need to come off. You will also need to pull the upper and lower balance shaft sprockets, which will require either the special tool, or if you are very careful, you can use a large channel lock pliers to hold the pulley while you loosen the 17mm bolt. Just be careful not to mar the teeth (use a thick rag to protect).

Old 12-21-2006, 03:45 PM

porscedoc, so far so good and i am now into resealing the front of the cam. and this requires the removal of what is referred to as a cheesehead bolt. i have been able to find out that it is 10 mm.. is this the same as a torx bit.i have phoned around and no one seems to carry it. the main suppliers that we have are s.k, snap on and gray.do you have any idea which one i require thanks again sam

Old 12-23-2006, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

It is also known as a triple square bit.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:30 PM

porshedoc ,you are right, i did go and get one and by wakening the bolt, making sure that the bit was square much to my amazement it did break loose. have you run across any site that lists by part # the seals etc. that i need .thanks again sam

Search this Thread