Notices
General Porsche Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Porsche's many models...

Boxster, Cayman, or 911. I Can't Decide

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 11:35 PM
Default Boxster, Cayman, or 911. I Can't Decide

Hello. I'm new to the forums but I thought this would be a good place to pose my question. You see, I've been into Porsche since high school and I've been saving up my money to buy one. The problem is I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of each particular model to see which one is right for me and I'm not getting anywhere. I've asked my friends and my buddies on other forums but they're mostly non-diehard car enthusiasts. So that's why I came to you guys. Apologies if I sound like an idiot for I, too, am not that well versed in car jargon.

I live in Northern California at the moment but I'm soon to be moving down to Los Angeles for my job. Either way, there's going to be a lot of sun and open road where I'm going. My current car is an old 1987 P.O.S. but I enjoy driving with the windows down and the wind in my hair. I like pushing my car some on the highway but I'm not really into racing, just the experience and joy of driving. Also, I'm not married yet (only 23) and haven't really considered it for at least another five years.

That said, the only models I'm really considering is the Boxster, the Cayman, and the 911. I've watched Top Gear reviews, browsed the Porsche website, and read half a dozen articles and still nothing's convincing me.

The 911 has that classic heritage feeling to it. I think it looks good and performs well. But I have more gripes about this model than the other two. It's much more expensive than the Cayman or the Boxster and I just don't have that kind of money yet. From what I read before I signed up, rear-engines put enormous weight on the back wheels causing them to require lots of maintainance. Furthermore, there are two seats in the back. I'm a very economical guy and don't like spending money on things I'll never use. In this case, it's on seats I'll probably never fill since I don't plan on having a family anytime soon. That and the horsepower; I don't think I need 300+ horsepower on my daily commute, do I?

The Boxster is the most convincing car I want to drive. Everyone talks about how superb the handling is thanks to having the engine mid-mounted and all. You get sufficient horsepower to tour the whole of California, decent-sized boots, decent number of seats, and the joy of the wind and sun whenever you feel like. The Boxster is good value, but it doesn't have the most attractive rear spoiler in my opinion. I've never seen it up close (looks like a block than a wing), but does that spoiler actually work? Also, as you've probably heard once or twice before, some call it "a poor man's Porsche". But I'd like to think differently. The Boxster has the best gas milage out of any Porsche out there. It says so on their website. So not only is this car the most suitable for my pleasures and lifestyle, but it is also the greenest - but I would surely like to hear others comment on this fact as well because no one talks about it.

The Cayman has a few attractive points, but to be honest, it never really hit on me. Performance-wise, it is like a Boxster. Equally as effective, and equally as green. It has a better-looking spoiler and a smoother-looking backside compared to the 911. But from several angles, it has too many curves. Sometimes I frown at the fact that it looks too much like a 911; other times, the curves give it a more unique and luxurious feel than the other two. The hard-top kind of makes me lose out on that feel I want to get out of a Porsche, as its addition gives the interior a somewhat more "cramped" feel compared to a 911. Given all this mixed feelings, I wonder if it is worth the extra money.

These are some of the points that I've come to believe are true. Now I know many of you guys and girls on this forum have a Porsche and would probably never go back from the model you already drive. But I don't know; you may be kicking yourself in the pants for going Boxster and not Cayman, or going Cayman and not a 911. But in the end, I don't want a high performance car with the horsepower to kick me to 60 in the speed of light. I just want a simple, inexpensive car that doesn't pollute the environment (as much), gets me to work, and would be fun to give it some revs on the highway and on a date. And I think you all would be able to give me more direct, assertive answers than my other friends have given me.

Thank you for your input and advice.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:51 AM
Default RE: Boxster, Cayman, or 911. I Can't Decide

Hi, Zaris, first of all, you come to the right place.
You dream, you look, you check, you read, and you buy one, this is what happen to me too.
Don't compare 911 to Boxster and Cayman, they handle difference. I will get one someday, because Porsche / 911, together, mean something special.
Boxster and Cayman is pretty much the same feel. Engine location is the same, two storages. It comes in handy from time to time. That is one of the reason I pick Boxster instead of 911. I will get a 911 if I have another car to switch.
If you like the wind in the face, I will go for the Boxster, you can drop the top from time to time, that is why I get it too.
I consider the model before 2005 is somewhat under power for a sport car. If you can afford it, get the S. Much more kick. Check out the chart on the Porsche web site. For 2007 model boxster and Cayman, they redesign to back trunk, it is a bid bigger, also, tire pressure monitor is a standard equipment for 07, 08 model. Why is it important? Model after 04, don't have a spare tire. Good to know if the pressure of your tire goes down and slow down ASAP.
One thing I do like the Cayman, since it is a hard top, you can add a rack of something on the top and haul something if you need to. Boxter can not do that.
The boxer spoiler is not as nice as the Cayman, but look at it this way, it is down most of the time, if will goes up when you reacn 75 mph, and go back down at 55 or 50 mph, what are you doing at 75 miles? You are in the car, looking forward. So, does it make any difference??? Also, when you seat inside the car, you cannot really see the spoiler if you look through the rear window, may be I am short, or may be the car curve down at the end.
I heard about the Poor man Porsche from time to time. So, if you have 140k turbo, I am happy for you. If you don't own a Porsche and bitch about Poor man Prosche. Then x&%3#*&^+#%!@
I hope my 2 cents help

Old 10-26-2007, 01:26 PM

I like to get the "most" for money.

To me the best popwill comein the form of a Boxster S. This will afford you the newest model year with the lowest mileage with less risk of costly repairs/headaches/heartaches that come from buying an older model with higher miles for the same money. Having said that, if you can find a "garage queen" from an uneducated seller that "fits"= reel that fish in :-).

Pretty simple economies of scale, in my mind = set a budget that fits and go and find the "best car" for your money = the newest low mileage unit you can get, regardless of model-KISS(?). A Porshe by any other name is still a Porsche = German engineering that not everyone can afford to experience in their lifetime.

Cheers

Old 11-01-2007, 11:20 PM

Thanks for the replies, you two. tinchao, you make a good point about the rear spoiler. And after talking about it with my dad, I feel that I will consider the Boxster model after all. I feel like I will be most happiest with that over the Cayman since I dislike the look of it at certain angles (and why spend extra money on something you're not 100% satisfied with?). My second biggest concern now is choosing between the Boxster and Boxster S. I don't paying for things I don't use, so maybe you guys can help me answer these queries too.

Let's assume for a moment that money isn't a concern.

The basic Boxster has 50 less horsepower and 50 less torque than the Boxster S. The basic's manual transmission has five gears versus the Boxster S' six. However, the Boxster has better milage - City/Highway estimated at 23/32 compared with the Boxster S' 20/28. Now I'm a guy that likes green cars. But I love Porsche and I want one. Normally, I would pick the basic Boxster hands down, but the Boxster S has more power and more speed. That said, these are my questions to you all:

- Will I lose the fun and experience of driving a Boxster by picking the one with 50 less horsepower? I keep telling myself 245 hp is plenty for a pleasure cruise. But sadly, it's not the best. But do I really need the best?
- Do I need six gears on a car that tops at 160? Six feels like too much choice, yet I feel like I'm losing out. But I'm not planning on going to a track, and I may not need that smooth of an acceleration in Los Angeles traffic.

Thanks again. You've been very helpful. Oh, and here's one more question to throw out to everyone:

- Why did they have to make an S version of everything!? Carrera and Carrera S, Cayman and Cayman S. So much choice. It would've been easier if they just stuck with one kind. = P

Old 11-11-2007, 06:09 PM

Hi Zaris, I too faced the samething you are. I wanted a Porsche for many years.I'm 59 and semi-retired.. I planned to look for a used (3-4 year old) 911. The Caymen caught my eye from day one. I live in New York where driving a sports car years round won't cut it. I have a 2007 ChevyTahoe for the winter months. I had a local Porsche dealer keep his eyes open for a nice, low mileage 911 or Boxster but after 3 months, nothing happened. I called another dealer in up-state New York. He told me he had 3 used 911 Turbo's on the lot with prices ranging from $72,500 to $79,000. I went to take a look but the Turbo was just too much car for me. He mentioned he had 2 2007 leftovers he wanted to move and that they came with the full factory warranty. One was a white 6 speedCarrera 2 and the other a red 6 speedTarge 4 with 91 miles on it. I really wanted an all wheel drive model. He tossed me the keys to the Targa and said take it for a spin..He never asked for my drivers license or in fact any ID!! After 15 minutes, I was back at the dealer.. The car was amazing.. He had several Boxsters and Caymens but not in the color I wanted. I sat down and talked. He went to the manager and the manager came back offering me the Targa 4 for $81,400 almost $12,500 off sticker.. I was totally shocked as I never thought he would go that low..I gave him a $1000 deposit and said I'd be back in about 7 days.. He shook my hand and said he would put the car away for me.. Well.. I 'm now the proud owner of a Red, Targa 4. I picked it up last monday.. It's been a total joy to drive.. I already have over 600 miles on it.. Driving with the roof totally open is great..Pitty I have to store it away for the winter in a few weeks.. But..I'll look forward to driving it full time next spring.. I wish i lived in a year round warm climate..

Good luck on whatever you choose..

Steve in Saratoga Springs, NY