Notices
General Porsche Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Porsche's many models...

Can a good Porsche be had for <10k?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Default Can a good Porsche be had for <10k?

I've got a daily driver (modified Volvo turbo wagon), but am looking for a "toy" car for the summer. I don't fit in a Miata, and my father is totally over the moon with his '03 Boxster. Combine that with a friend who just picked up an '85 911 and can stop smiling, and I'm now considering a used Porsche. I see 944's (mix of NA and turbos) and some older 911's in the right price range, but was wondering if a car worth picking up can be had in my price range. It's time for me to stop toying with the DD and focus my efforts on a car I could afford to have laid up for a few weeks, hopefully one that will be fun to drive during Vermont's too-short summers.

I'm not terribly experienced, but I'm not afraid to turn a wrench. Would love something I can drive right away, even if I know that certain components will have to be replaced over time (assuming it's not unreasonable to assume I could shadetree mechanic the brakes, suspension, and other less in-depth repairs). As stated in the subject, I'd like to stay under $10k up front.

Also, is it safe to assume that the local dealer could do a reasonably thorough work-up on a potential buy, or do they have a reputation (like some of the other local dealers) that suggests I should find an experienced indy?
[align=left] [/align]