Notices
General Porsche Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Porsche's many models...

Extended Warranties

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Default Extended Warranties

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good (reasonable) extended warranty. I have an 02 911 with 49k miles and I'm getting quotes of $4,500 for 3/36 coverage. Are there better deals out there? Thanks

Old 02-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Default RE: Extended Warranties

Hi as a UK Forum MemberI do not know the US costs of the Official Porsche Extended Warranty. But at circa GBP 900 say US$1700, I think that is the best. I can only speak well of the scheme and I have had value from it.
They cover the car upto 9 years old and 120K miles.
Regards Big Bob

Old 02-24-2008, 01:15 PM

That's a great deal, Big Bob. Not sure I can find anything like that in the US. Thanks

Old 02-24-2008, 02:44 PM

Hi I've just checked the US Section of the Official Porsche Website. They talk about a Pre Owned Warranty. You need to see if this only applies to pre owned cars bought from an OPC.
It seems odd that you cant purchase an ExtendedWarranty in the same way we can in Europe. I would say that if it were available, they would want to know the car had a full service history from OPCs. They might want to check it over before agreeing to it also.
Anyway unless you already know for sure that you cannot buy an Extended Warranty, give your local OPC a call and check it out.
Best Regards Big Bob

Old 04-24-2008, 09:20 PM

This is also what I've heard from my recent inquires to a few Certified Porsche Dealers in Canada. They will only allow/sell extended warranties for cars bought directly from the dealer. Pre-owned pre-certified automatically come with the extended warranty. Unfortunate, not sure why this is as I know this is not the case with BMWs, etc.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:56 PM

I decided not to get an extended warranty. I've owned my car for about a year now trouble free

Old 04-25-2008, 03:01 AM

ORIGINAL: bion

This is also what I've heard from my recent inquires to a few Certified Porsche Dealers in Canada. They will only allow/sell extended warranties for cars bought directly from the dealer. Pre-owned pre-certified automatically come with the extended warranty. Unfortunate, not sure why this is as I know this is not the case with BMWs, etc.

As I understand the practice in the UK, that provenance for the Extended Waranty is a clear OPC Service History after initial registration of the car with an extended warranty. Personally as my annual Service Cost is about $2600, of which $1800 is for the warranty I think that is reasonable for the nature of the car I'm driving.
I'm in favour of the extended warranty just in case of a major mechanical failure. However views will differ on that one. Insurance for that is what the Extended Warranty is, is always apparently expensive when you dont have a claim[sm=drlove.gif]
Regards Big Bob

Old 04-25-2008, 03:54 PM

BB--it's like having insurance. I only drive a few thousand miles a year so I'm hoping for no major mechanical repairs.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:09 PM

I bought a 2 yr exgtended warranty and never used it. It was nice piece of mind.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:23 PM

That's what I'm hoping for.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranties