Notices
General Porsche Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Porsche's many models...

How does Porsche treat their customers? Read this!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

The percentage of ISM failure is a fairly rare number considering the number of cars on the road. In the last 6-7 years, I have seen 2 failures, one in a boxster and one in a 996. In You hear of a lot more because everyone on the internet always talks about problems with their cars (doesn't matter the car or the issue), but you don't hear about the guys that aren't having any problems. It isn't "hey guys, drove the car again today for the 5,000th time and it ran great as always!" Instead you hear of the IMS or RMS failure, or wheel bearing, or tire blow out, etc as typically people are looking for help. Doesn't matter if it is a Porsche, chevy, ford, subaru, etc. I understand your frustration, but you roll the dice with any car out of warranty unfortunately, and today, it is getting very expensive to fix a car. It would cost 7-8k to put a new motor in a honda, chevy, nissan, etc. You can't touch a new transaxle for under 5k installed in any car.

With high production numbers of the boxster and 996, their values have depreciated rapidly (all their models for that matter), but the cost of the parts and labor times do not change $$$. Porsche is now producing disposable cars, they are no longer the small exclusive car company that they were 10-12 years ago. Thanks to the high production numbers of the cayenne, boxster, and 996, they are now classified as your typical large car company. Instead of making a car that enthusiasts want to hold on to and drive for 30-40 years, they now balk at the idea of owning anything older than 5 years. They absolutely don't want you to fix that boxster, they want you to just buy a new Porsche. Why on earth would you bother with a 10-20-30 year old Porsche when you can buy a new Porsche is now their current attitude. It's too bad for us enthusiasts out there.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:42 PM

[QUOTE=Martin Holzner;24166]wow, I never mentioned anything about buying the car used. Are you sure your name is not Heather Cooper and you accidentally are working for Porsche. Shame on you!

But regardless: what difference does it make if the car was purchased new or used? What if I tell you that the only previous owner was a Porsche dealership? Still doesn't make a difference.
Stop trying to side track from the real issue!
The engine has a design flaw and many people end up having to put a lot of money into a new engine, because Porsche is not willing to help. Unless of course you are lucky and the engine breaks down withing the warranty, and apparently it does quite often.

I'm saying this is kicking your customers while they are down.
Porsche seem to say: get over it: if you really love the car you suck it up and send over the money.

QUOTE]

Martin - I doubt anything becomes clear to you. You seem obsessed with a belief you are in the right when it is CLEAR you are so far off base. Your car was years out of warranty. Tough luck. Move on.
By the way: from the way you talk on this forum, I have no respect for you.

I suggest you buy a Camry: don't break often and easy and cheap to fix when they do. I think that would suit you more.[/B]

Last edited by Lee Willis; 10-03-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:01 AM

thank you for this constructive reply. What you say makes sense to me.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:27 AM

I love it: 'if you want quality: buy a Toyota.'

I'd sum up the content of what you say as: Porsche: disposable cars for people with disposable income.

You are correct: I am obsessed. As a German engineer I do believe in the 'German built Quality ideal' and strive every day in my job to achieve it. This is not just a myth, it's a way of living your life. As such an engineer, I'd be embarrassed if an engine I built imploded after less then half of a reasonable life time expectancy. You are right: I don't get it, and I get the service's response and handling of such cases even less.

It is a shame that the outstanding work of the designers, and I'm sure in large parts of the engineers as well, is not followed with a respectful and customer oriented service department. You are correct again: I'm probably way off, but this is how I work and I believe business needs to be conducted. You can pull it through the dirt as much as you want.
Had Porsche offered me a replacement engine at their cost, or showed me any other sign of support, I would have been able to remain a true fan. Instead they completely turned me away, and lost a life time enthusiast.
No, I won't buy a Camry, but I think it is important to let all those Camry owners out there, dreaming of owning a Porsche some day, know that owning one might turn into a nightmare. You might not realize it, and most likely don't care, but there are people out there that save a lifetime to buy such a car.
And you say, you don't have any respect for people like that. I guess that is how you conduct your business.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, well the useful information in this thread has about reached it's peak. Thread locked.