Notices
General Porsche Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Porsche's many models...

Need Help 911 or Boxster?

Old 03-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Default Need Help 911 or Boxster?

I need help making a decision. I purchased a 1999 Carrera C2 about 10 months ago and did not have
a PPI. The car came with a PPI which had been made 1 year ealier, but only 2000 miles had accrued since. Since I knew the seller, I foolishly thought I was safe. The car at that time had 84k miles. I have since put on 8000 miles with only squeaks and rattles as problems, until recently.

I now have an oil leak from the driver's cam cover and oil leaking from what appears to be two of the spark plug tubes. The car now has 92,000 miles on it.

Yestereday I came upon a 2002 Boxster S with only 23,000 miles on it at a local non-porsche dealership. The dealer is willing to give me a very reasonable trade on my 911 and will include a PPI with an extended warranty (non-porsche certified of course) to 100k.

The Box drove great, not quite as fast as the 911 but very solid. It does have stability control and e gas, where the 911 has only the driver for stability control.

I know that it is a step down in the Porsche hierarchy, but that part doesn't matter to me. I like to drive my cars, particularily at the autocross. If the car looks good, feels good...then I'm good.

My question is....am I foolish to trade my high mile 911 for a Boxster S? The payments would be the same and if I traded, I would have a newer warrantied car.

I'd like some opinions from the experts. Is the Boxster less or more reliable than the 996? Is the Boxster overall as rewarding on a day to day basis as the 911? Also, it will be driven daily although I have an extra commuter or two if I need.

I need to make a decision in the next day or two, so any advice would be great!

Steve

Old 03-11-2007, 10:22 PM
Default RE: Need Help 911 or Boxster?

How bad is the oil leak? Is it pools of oil, or just dribbles? You didn't mention if you've found out what it would cost to repair it. Dealers are in the businessof making money, anddon't do people favorsjust tohelp you out.It's hard to put a price on having that back seat. For me it is very important. I used to have a Vette I hardly drove on the weekends, because it didn't have a back seat for my son. If you take your car to the track a lot, then any car you drive is probably going to require more maintenance. It boils down to a decision only you can make.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

Old 03-12-2007, 02:33 AM

The oil just dribbles, but it is getting worse. The parts are around one hundred dollars, my mechanic is quoting 4 to 5 hours labor. He charges me $40.00/hr. So the repair should be around three to four hundred dollars total.

I just worry about the longevity of high mile 996 engine. I love the 911...I don't think you can find a better blend of comfort and performance. The ride in the 996 is somewhat smoother and quieter than the Boxster. From my limited time behind the wheel of the Boxster S, I do believe that it handles better than the base Carrera. So its a toss up. They each have their merits.

Steve

Old 03-13-2007, 06:59 AM

Hi, Heavencent
I own a Boxster S, 2006. When I brought my car, one big concern is maintenance. I have a budget for my car, I can get a few years old 911 or a new Boxster S for the same price, I go for the new car, just because it is under a lot more warranty and new car ususally has less problem. Also, if I buy a several years old Porsche, you never know that the previous driver did with it. This are fast, performance car, the preious owner may race it to the max... all the time.
That is just my 2 cents.
Take at Sandy Beach, East Honolulu, March 06

Old 03-13-2007, 01:42 PM

I'm sure it does handle slightly better, because the Box is a mid-engine design, which makes for a lower and a little more balanced center of gravity than a 911 (rear engine). Frankly, $500.00 sounds pritty cheap to me if it fixes the problem. To quote PorscheDoc, Porsche has been building long lasting engines for decades, and keep in mind Tinghao's Boxster has the same basic 3.4 liter motor you have in your 911. If money was an issue, I think I would wait till the oil dripping required I add more than a quart between oil changes, then pay the 500 bucks to fix it.

Kevin

Old 03-14-2007, 07:25 PM

Well guys I still can't decide. I've spent so much time working on the car...upgrading the stereo, getting rid of the rattles, etc., that I've become quite attached to "Sally." She's leaking enough oil onto the header to be called "Stinky" at this point

I would say I have always used at least 1-1.5 quarts between oil changes. It is now more like 2- 2.5 between oil changes at 8000 miles.

A guy from Germany just told me that they call Boxsters "Pimpvaggen" or something like that in the old country. Seems the Boxster is a favorite of certain adult entertainment "business men" in Germany. Just a little trivia. I think he was trying to talk me into keeping the 911.

My wife is all for "Stinky Sally" finding another home

Wives!

Thanks for the opinions |

Steve