Notices
General Porsche Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Porsche's many models...

Need opinion - have budget of $35K to $40K to spend on Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Default Need opinion - have budget of $35K to $40K to spend on Porsche

Hi everyone; first time posting so give me a break if I mess this up...

I'm looking to purchase my first Porsche (I know, exciting times!) and I'm kinda down to these two models, based mostly on my budget:

2005 Porsche Boxster S
2002 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet

I'm not sure which one will give me the most enjoyment, as the Boxster S has almost the same hp (280) vs the 911 (which has 320). As you all have more experience, can you explain the main differences in driving style as well as enjoyment? I'll be looking to only drive this in the summer (as I have a daily commuter car currently).

let me know what you think!

Thanks!!!

Old 06-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Default RE: Need opinion - have budget of $35K to $40K to spend on Porsche

They are very different cars, even though both are convertibles and six-cylinder Porsches. Durability and maintenance costs will be roughly the same (except for the age factor).

The Carrera has its back seat area which makes it a good touring car for long trips lots of luggage and stuff can go back there.The Carrera will be slightly faster in a straight line and the cornering basically the same (which tires the cars have will matter more), but interms of real world performance you will not notice any difference on the street in acceleration or cornering, but you will feel a difference in response the Boxster is noticeably more neutral and responsive, being mid engined. The Carrera is a bit better at highway cruising.

The Boster is three years newer, something to think about. Of course, there are many, many more Boxsters on the street than Carrera Cabs, so if rarity matters to you . . .

Old 09-09-2008, 12:41 AM
Default RE: Need opinion - have budget of $35K to $40K to spend on Porsche

In terms of performance the carrera would be the way to go if your looking for horsepower and straight line. Though the boxster is powerful and a lot of fun. The boxster will destroy the carrera in the twisties because of its mid engine. You should drive both and decide which one feels best to you. I myself drive an '88 carrera and love it to death. My father on the other hand has had both an '02 boxster and now an '03 boxster s, and says the carrera has a gear feeling while driving it. The best thing you could do is to really find what you might be interested in and drive them. No one can offer you any advice if you are not sure which car feels and performes the way you want. Good luck and enjoy!!!