Notices
General Porsche Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Porsche's many models...

New guy here with lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 10:30 AM
Default New guy here with lots of questions

I'm new here and have a lot of questions to ask. My background is US cars. I worked for Ford and Chrysler. Love muscle cars and I've raced everything from street, drags, scca road courses,dirt,asphalt, and some NASCAR Sportsman Div. stuff. So, I'm no stranger to cars, working on them or building them.

I'm starting a new project and I want to do it my way of course. It's a 71 Karmann Ghia pan with 4 wheel disc brakes. It has a 1600 dual Port stock engine with new end castings, intake, either a 40 or 44mm carb. Has chrome tin, new distributor, mechanical fuel pump, and headers. The transmission is stock irs with new cv axles.

IT has a fiberglass 917 body on it.

The Volkswagen engine wont make enough power to satisfy me. I've seen one on youtube and it's slow and disappointing for the looks of the car. Nor do I care for the sound of it. I know that unless it has a van/bus transmission it wont hold up to much hp anyway. I'm not trying to make a clone or a fake or anything I just want to show it, autocross it some and have fun.

With the body work on it, it should be able to cover a flat six in place of it's flat four. Can someone point me in the direction of what Porsche engine and transmission I can put in it without it costing me a fortune? Something stock that out powers the VW engine and has a good Porsche growl to it. I'd need the headers for it too unless I decide to put a small turbo on each side, more or less for the sound than the speed. I don't care if it's carbed or injected either. I would not mind using something like and MSD box for ignition though if that is possible.

Thanks in advance. I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction I need to go. Web sites would help too. I admit I'm out of my zone looking into the Porsche engines and transmissions, but this is the way I want to go instead of putting a US V8 or V6 in it. Thanks.