Notices
General Porsche Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Porsche's many models...

OBDii Data Acquisition for Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Default OBDii Data Acquisition for Porsche?

First off I want to make sure this does not come across as an advertisement, spam or a sales pitch. I am a car enthusiast interested in data collection and acquisitionand recently helped a friend create a product forthe Mazda RX8. In sodoing, a logging device was createdthat can do up to 2 hours of CAN-based logging via the OBDii port. I am hoping to have a discussion on whether or not the Porsche market can be a home for it. I have successfully tested it on a Cayenne Turbo and a 997 Turbo. Any thoughts?

Old 06-19-2008, 10:08 AM
Default RE: OBDii Data Acquisition for Porsche?

The shop I used had a similar system (no idea where it came from) when they were "tuning" my '02 corvette (7-liter, supercharged, 700+ RWH) for driveability back when I had it. They drove the car around and logged a couple of hours of street results including warm up and various driving cycles and then could replay them and even simulate how the system would have responded with re-programming changes.

No doubt there is a need, butthere may already be systems out there.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:41 PM

I think the major difference here is the fact that you don't have to be a shop to use it. It is within reach of the average Joe as far as the technical aspect goes as well as cheap (around $200).

Old 06-20-2008, 06:10 PM

If you can package it and sell it in an easy to use package that would be a big market and advantage.

But you have to make it idiot proof. Not that many Porsche owners are idiots (but I have met a few), but many are not going to be expert at computers and such . . . a lot of lawyers, such as may son, own Porsches, and are very very smart, yet they are all thumbs when it comes to even plugging in a data port interface.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:52 AM

So far the RX8 stuff has been pretty idiot proof. You plug it in the OBDii port....drive...unplug...plug it into your PC and "fly" through the data. The other cool thing I found is that the tool is good to help estimate wheel horsepower. As far as I can tell, about 1 g/s of mass airflow equals about 1 WHP. I tested it on a Porsche Cayenne Turbo a while back and did a before and after tuning...

BEFORE...

AFTER...