Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   General Porsche Chat (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/general-porsche-chat-5/)
-   -   Porsche Effect on Other Drivers??? (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/general-porsche-chat-5/porsche-effect-other-drivers-1121/)

Lee Willis 10-09-2005 10:49 PM

Porsche Effect on Other Drivers???

I've had a Porsche ( a new 996) for two months now. Over the years I've owned just about everything. I love this car, but .

One thing that I have definately noticed is that there are some drivers who seem to really seem to hate Porsches. About two times a week I run into some other driver who deliberately cuts me off or slows down in front on me to block me or does something just to be rude: this isn't the normal "stupidity' you see ever day (I'm immune to that) -- these are people who go out of their way and really want me to k n o w they are being rude. And I don't get this when driving my other sports car (a vette) or other cars, and never had this in any other car before.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not making it up. I put it off to jealousy and envy. As I tell my friends, every car wants to be a Porsche when it grows up.

PorscheDoc 10-09-2005 11:40 PM

RE: Porsche Effect on Other Drivers???

I find that in my little 944 turbo, everyone wants to race me....every where i go, someone thinks they are faster, everything from pickup trucks to corvettes...it's unbelievable, i just want to get where i am going lol. This week I have been breaking in a 600hp 996TT,so driving it to and from home, and no one really even bats an eye at me.....except on friday, i ran to the grocery store, and as i was coming out of the parking lot, a guy in a honda accord was going the other way, as i go by, his head cranks over to look at the car with his jaw dropped, and he sideswipes the accord into the curb as we wasn't watching where he was going....i thought that was kinda funny.

CTiggerPigglet 10-10-2005 01:24 PM

Your'e not wrong PorscheDoc when you say "I find that in my little 944 turbo, everyone wants to race me...."

I get this all the time and even when any boy racers pass in the other direction they usually put their foot down, just to proove how fast and loud their motor is!

Most of the time I just think to myself... get a real sports car, w4~k£r!!!
[:@]

jabora 10-18-2005 04:27 PM

I'm noticing similer behavior. I recently got my first. A 99 yellow C4. I'm in love... in fact I feel like I've crossed over to the dark side.
;) I've been driving lincolns for years. I knew it would get a little attention but I think some of the attention is from weenies. Several times I've had people drive aggressivly around me, cut offs and such. I think they expect me to drive like speed racer. Some are probablly checking it out a little but... I had one older guy in a new lexus convertable really drive like a knucklehead around me this weekend. You could see pure hatred on his face. He was doing everything he could to beat me to the red light. I thought he was going to wreck himself trying to zip around me.

On the other hand, I pulled up to a sushi joint the other night and 3 dynamite looking young girls came running. Can I sit in it? Can I go for a ride? Are you married? LOL! That's always a hoot!

CTiggerPigglet 10-19-2005 08:01 AM

On the other hand, I pulled up to a sushi joint the other night and 3 dynamite looking young girls came running. Can I sit in it? Can I go for a ride? Are you married? LOL! That's always a hoot!

You lucky b*st*rd jabora, I've never had anything like that happen to me!!

Patrick 10-20-2005 04:38 PM

i may accidentally have to swerve away while starring, but thats about it..:)

Lee Willis 10-21-2005 09:13 PM

Well, it just continues. Several times a week someone cuts in front or edges closer to me just to piss me off. I think its jealousy frankly --"Every car wants to be Porsche when it grows up."

I'm normally a good, safe driver but there are times when I wish the Carrera had a lot more power (okay, I know I am upsetting some people, but no, it does not have "real" street-dominating power - even though its just a pretty fast car**) and I could "play" with them. But I have to be a big boy and be above it.

** I dynoed it and it puts 265 HP to the ground. Good but not great -- thats about what a new manual trans Mustang GT puts down, for example. Of course its a bit lighter. Its done a 13.4 at around 105 at a local track in the quarter mile (A new Mustang GT in the other lane did 13.8). That is good for a automatic transmission car (mine has a tiptronic). But on the same night a Chrysler 300 SRT (the 425 HPO one) did a 13.00 - and that is also an automatic.

PorscheDoc 10-22-2005 12:25 PM

mmmmm supercharger.....

Lee Willis 10-25-2005 12:24 AM

Yeah, but my wife has put her foot down for a while on spending on "frivolous expenses."

She doesn't share my need for speed.

Patrick 10-26-2005 02:43 PM

ive driven an SRT-8 300c, and it was awesome. i got to run it on a small autocross course, which began with about an 8th mile straightaway...i couldnt believe the pick up, or the hard cornering ability of the big car!!

944Dream 10-28-2005 06:49 PM

We've only got an 8th strip out here. I'm hoping to take mine out next season and I'm expecting to run 9's or so. Mine won't beat an 04 Mustang GT but it'll hang with one. My friend has the 04 and we've played around with both cars but he loves my 944, maybe more than I do. After driving the 944 for a few months I just can't stand how high up the driver sits in the mustangs. I know you don't sit up that high but the 944 sits you on the ground.

As far as the aggression from other drivers I've experienced it a little, mostly from the young street racer crouds. However I think its funny that there's 3 Porsches in this town (not including the boxsters) and anytime we run into each other its like we're in a club. We'll just talk for hours. I ran into a Capt the other day with a new 911 and I was in my 944 and we talked for about an hour. He asked if I was going to upgrade to a 911 and I told him his car was my wet dream. I'm still low ranking, there's no way I can afford something like that. He said he gets people being rude to him all the time around town. I think its wierd.

My biggest problem is that people see me driving a porsche (granted a 944) and they all think I'm rich. I'm just barely clearing 20K a year and everyone wants to bum money. Its nuts that these people that act that way are driving $40K SUV's but I paid 2500 for my car. Wierd huh? Do you guys get that?

CTiggerPigglet 10-31-2005 07:54 AM

My biggest problem is that people see me driving a porsche (granted a 944) and they all think I'm rich. I'm just barely clearing 20K a year and everyone wants to bum money. Its nuts that these people that act that way are driving $40K SUV's but I paid 2500 for my car. Wierd huh? Do you guys get that?
Yes, I get this also. Everyone at my works thinks I'm loaded. When the subject of money comes up, they always mention that I must be rich as I drive a Porsche, (even though they are on the same wage as me) then when we are discussing cars, they all say that it ain't a real Porsche, it's just a V.W. with a Porsche badge!

You can't win, eh?
[sm=devilgrin.gif] Happy Hallowe'en!!

Lee Willis 10-31-2005 10:58 AM

Funny you mention the " . . .must be rich" bit. I was parked waiting for my wife yesterday and a nicely dressed if matronly looking lady stopped and looked at the car admiringly and then leaned toward the open window and said, "Excuse me, what breed of car is this?" (Yes, "breed"). I replied it was a Porsche. She nodded and said, "That means you must have lots of money." I replied, "No ma'am, it only means I had money before I bought it."

As to the 944 not being a real Porsche, I suppose there are those who say anything since 1964 that isn't a 911 isn't a Porsche, and I understand their perspective. But its as real a Porsche as a 929 or a 914 or a Cayman or a Cayenne, so I wouldn't worry about it.

PorscheDoc 10-31-2005 01:19 PM

I replied, "No ma'am, it only means I had money before I bought it."

Lolthats good, will have to remember that....

geeddle 10-31-2005 06:40 PM

totally agree with you had folk swear at me ....... but also got to say had so many people especially young boys.........eeeck !!!! say how much the love my car. think you just need to blast the rude ones at the lights. i've a 964 1990 you dont know anything about differential ....had probs with my car shuttering if it goes over bumps????

Patrick 11-01-2005 04:20 PM

thats the best quote ever lee...:)

MBS Auto Parts 11-06-2005 03:34 PM

LOL... people cut me off on the LA freeways all the time. But when I drive my mercedes I don't seem to have that probelm... what does that tell you!

PR MAN 11-07-2005 01:04 PM

This is really an interesting discussion. I haven't had quite as much of this aggressiveness from other drivers, but that is probably because my car is a bit older and frankly it ks a little faded and l winters up here, etc. I need to get in painted and polished and the wheels fixed up and I gave a couple of gravel dings on the nose-I've never let the mechanical slip but it doesn't look that good.

It might be the people image instead of the car. Porsche definately has an image, and while part of it is money (great comment about "It only means I had money!") but part is people expect us to all be effect snobs.so maybe it is more a reaction to what they expect of the driver than jealously about the car.

MBS Auto Parts 11-07-2005 01:10 PM

well I think it is a little bit of both! here is why I see it that way...

a Restored MB 380SL : people pull up to me check it out and smile no bad reactions
1997 E320: going along my day just fine and dandy
2003 E320: NO racing , but people do still cut me off somethimes
C2 Cab: Everybody wants to kill me :)

Patrick 11-08-2005 03:31 PM

well, drivers like that in general need an ace whoopin...[:@]

Racer944 11-09-2005 04:13 PM

That's why I drive an offroad ready 4Runner, no one cuts me off and if I hit something, it won't hurt my vehicle

jabora 11-09-2005 07:30 PM

ORIGINAL: MBS Auto Parts

well I think it is a little bit of both! here is why I see it that way...

a Restored MB 380SL : people pull up to me check it out and smile no bad reactions
1997 E320: going along my day just fine and dandy
2003 E320: NO racing , but people do still cut me off somethimes
C2 Cab: Everybody wants to kill me :)

Right. Since I got my C4 it's like I'm a target. I get people in vans, mini vans, you name it and they are very agressive.
I'm taking off at a light casually and just minding my own biz... the couple in a Tahoe next me are going to make sure I do not pass.
They are really being hardcore about this! It's personal? LOL. I'm trying not to respond at all and just drive.

If I'm on the beltway trying to get to the exit ramp, my turn signal on for 1/2 mile before, I'm trying not to be a jerk... somebody in a time warner service van is determined to make me die trying. If I slow down, he does to. He is not letting me over. Almost everyday so far. I was at a light yesterday and a crazy lady pulls up and she's cussing me and shaking her fists? They get right on my rear and excellerate until I either move over or leave them.

This is the best... I unfortunatley live in an apartment complex.[:o] I'm trying to park where my car is safe, etc. I don't mind walking and I'm not about to get into a parking lot rage, territory dispute over some stupid spot. There is this spot way far away where no one seems to park. It's between the trash dumpster and a large pile of dirt the managment only understands. It's about a space and 1/2 wide so I'm sort of double parked. I parked there for several nights. I start getting little notes on my windshield. Double park again, buy new tires. Park here again get keyed!??? Ok. I park on the extream other side of the complex and let this mighty warrior have his
power play. I have no choice but pay an extra $50 a month for a garage now. They way I see it this wack job instantly cost me $600. for the year. I hate to sound like a psycho but if I could catch him... I really don't want to get into all that.

Lee Willis 11-09-2005 09:02 PM

My son lives in an apartment complex and ended up having to rent a garage for his car. It's actually good because he can keep his bike and all his tools in there too. Worth the money.

jabora 11-10-2005 12:11 PM

Hey Lee,

Thanks for keeping me in the conversation. I've been so busy... then when I get to the board I want to stay here all day. ;)

Those cameros are fun. I had a cousin in high school I ran around with.
He was an excellent junior mechanic. Provided he had a shop to work in and a little money.
He could turn anything into a drag machine.
I don't remeber the details to the machine. I think it was a 69 or 70 Chevy Nova SS.
He went to work on it for a couple of months.
It had a bad green paint job we put on in his back yard.
It was a monster if you could keep it on the ground!
It laid rubber like black paint and damn near did wheelies!
I have no idea what the actual performance was... 0-60? Top speed?
We were teenage idiots and I think we liked the noise and rubber more than anything.
But the funny part was that everyone totally underestimated the car.
Guys would pull up and rev a challenge in thier new whatever?
We didn't care if it was a Ferrari. LOL!
You couldn't tell who got off the line first for all the damn smoke.
And the noise. It was like a bomb went off. WOOOOMMMPPP! LOL!

Patrick 11-10-2005 05:54 PM

ahhh..noise and rubber smoke...ill never get tired of it...:)

Lee Willis 11-10-2005 09:14 PM

Camaros are fun, I agree. My first new car was a Camaro ('68). Like Mustangs, they are simple and basic and that is part of their charm. I prefer them to Mustangs because GM engines fit in them better and, frankly, I think GM makes the best engines in the world (seriously, I mean it. I think the Ls2 V8 is arguably as good as a n y t h i n g made anywhere.

Regardless, Camaros have straight axles, lots of room under the hood, and simple steel construction: all the things of hot rod heaven. And parts are cheap. Camaros of recent vintage (98 until the end, 02) are fairly quick stock (13.4 quarter mile, .88 G cornering, good braking, piggish handling though in tight turns). But they are cheap to modify. A mere $1500 gets them into the 12s, $4000 into the low 12s, $7000 into the MID 11s.

For all that, they are crude. If you think about it they are actually trying to be much like a Porsche, a coupe with a tiny back seat, lots of power, good looks. But nothing matches the smoothness and finesse of the Porsche.

If cars were people, the Camaro would be Hulk Hogan, bulked up, hard to argue with, fun when you want to be rowdy . . .
and the Porsche would be Pierce Brosnan, oh so smooth and suave and cool.

jabora 11-11-2005 03:47 PM

"If cars were people, the Camaro would be Hulk Hogan, bulked up, hard to argue with, fun when you want to be rowdy . . .
and the Porsche would be Pierce Brosnan, oh so smooth and suave and cool."

Too funny. I love creative writting. Your not half bad at it. I get a kick out of writting myself.

Patrick 11-11-2005 05:21 PM

many of the cars in the porsche history do have a very 'bond" feel to them... i think that the camaro would be someone a bit more brutish, like the macho man...haha :D

Lee Willis 11-11-2005 05:43 PM

Very good pun, Patrick.

And Jabora, obvious you like writing, too.

Patrick 11-14-2005 09:04 PM

i wrote the carrera GT write up at the top right, and i also did one about the gemballa GT [8D]

Lee Willis 11-18-2005 04:17 AM

They're good pieces. I write a lot. Not my main job but I've turned out eight engineering books and ghost-written a couple of novels. Ireally like to write. It's fun.

purple_mitchy 06-29-2007 03:09 AM

hmmm, well, me too likes porsche a lot! i've read magazines telling me that it gives people a driving pleasure you can ever imagine... you are of good choice.. last time i remember my coworker who had change his oem porsche oil fiter device.

sanderklos 07-14-2007 04:41 PM

I'm quite surprised about your experiences - generally I find people more forgiving when driving a Porsche...! They seem to think "hey this guy is driving a fast car, so logically he's driving faster than the rest of us"... So in my 911 C4 it's all thumbs up, even in fast overtaking and ending up in front of the same traffic light 5 miles down the road... :eek:(I got the most brutal reactions in the last two decades driving a BMW 330i convertible by the way)

dave1986944 07-15-2007 07:27 AM

Getting cops to follow me (without having given them any reason to do so) seems to be very easy in my 86 944. I stay a couple under the limit till they come flying past me in the fast lane like they are ticked off I didn't give them a run for aticket..waht's up with that? Have also learned to read lips better ..stuff like "n-i-c-e P-o-r-s-c-h-e..." or "o-o-o w-a-t-c-h o-u-t ! " fun..

MotionParts.com 07-16-2007 02:10 PM

Haha, just the effect of having a nice car. Consider it as a responsibility of having a porsche :D

crimson96 08-08-2007 10:13 PM

Don't know guys, I get the opposite. I have a 996TT, and driving down the freeway I have had people roll down their window and yell 'awesome car dude' - at 70mph (or maybe that was 90... whatever...)..

Never seen the negative attention though... But then there is that whole thing of "you attract what you look for"... so I dunno, does that make it your fault ;-)