Notices
General Porsche Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Porsche's many models...

Porsche Effect on Other Drivers???

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Default Porsche Effect on Other Drivers???

I've had a Porsche ( a new 996) for two months now. Over the years I've owned just about everything. I love this car, but .

One thing that I have definately noticed is that there are some drivers who seem to really seem to hate Porsches. About two times a week I run into some other driver who deliberately cuts me off or slows down in front on me to block me or does something just to be rude: this isn't the normal "stupidity' you see ever day (I'm immune to that) -- these are people who go out of their way and really want me to k n o w they are being rude. And I don't get this when driving my other sports car (a vette) or other cars, and never had this in any other car before.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not making it up. I put it off to jealousy and envy. As I tell my friends, every car wants to be a Porsche when it grows up.

Old 10-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Porsche Effect on Other Drivers???

I find that in my little 944 turbo, everyone wants to race me....every where i go, someone thinks they are faster, everything from pickup trucks to corvettes...it's unbelievable, i just want to get where i am going lol. This week I have been breaking in a 600hp 996TT,so driving it to and from home, and no one really even bats an eye at me.....except on friday, i ran to the grocery store, and as i was coming out of the parking lot, a guy in a honda accord was going the other way, as i go by, his head cranks over to look at the car with his jaw dropped, and he sideswipes the accord into the curb as we wasn't watching where he was going....i thought that was kinda funny.

Old 10-10-2005, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Your'e not wrong PorscheDoc when you say "I find that in my little 944 turbo, everyone wants to race me...."

I get this all the time and even when any boy racers pass in the other direction they usually put their foot down, just to proove how fast and loud their motor is!

Most of the time I just think to myself... get a real sports car, w4~k£r!!!
[:@]

Old 10-18-2005, 04:27 PM

I'm noticing similer behavior. I recently got my first. A 99 yellow C4. I'm in love... in fact I feel like I've crossed over to the dark side.
I've been driving lincolns for years. I knew it would get a little attention but I think some of the attention is from weenies. Several times I've had people drive aggressivly around me, cut offs and such. I think they expect me to drive like speed racer. Some are probablly checking it out a little but... I had one older guy in a new lexus convertable really drive like a knucklehead around me this weekend. You could see pure hatred on his face. He was doing everything he could to beat me to the red light. I thought he was going to wreck himself trying to zip around me.

On the other hand, I pulled up to a sushi joint the other night and 3 dynamite looking young girls came running. Can I sit in it? Can I go for a ride? Are you married? LOL! That's always a hoot!

Old 10-19-2005, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

On the other hand, I pulled up to a sushi joint the other night and 3 dynamite looking young girls came running. Can I sit in it? Can I go for a ride? Are you married? LOL! That's always a hoot!

You lucky b*st*rd jabora, I've never had anything like that happen to me!!

Old 10-20-2005, 04:38 PM
Administrator

i may accidentally have to swerve away while starring, but thats about it..

Old 10-21-2005, 09:13 PM

Well, it just continues. Several times a week someone cuts in front or edges closer to me just to **** me off. I think its jealousy frankly --"Every car wants to be Porsche when it grows up."

I'm normally a good, safe driver but there are times when I wish the Carrera had a lot more power (okay, I know I am upsetting some people, but no, it does not have "real" street-dominating power - even though its just a pretty fast car**) and I could "play" with them. But I have to be a big boy and be above it.

** I dynoed it and it puts 265 HP to the ground. Good but not great -- thats about what a new manual trans Mustang GT puts down, for example. Of course its a bit lighter. Its done a 13.4 at around 105 at a local track in the quarter mile (A new Mustang GT in the other lane did 13.8). That is good for a automatic transmission car (mine has a tiptronic). But on the same night a Chrysler 300 SRT (the 425 HPO one) did a 13.00 - and that is also an automatic.

Old 10-22-2005, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

mmmmm supercharger.....

Old 10-25-2005, 12:24 AM

Yeah, but my wife has put her foot down for a while on spending on "frivolous expenses."

She doesn't share my need for speed.

Old 10-26-2005, 02:43 PM
Administrator

ive driven an SRT-8 300c, and it was awesome. i got to run it on a small autocross course, which began with about an 8th mile straightaway...i couldnt believe the pick up, or the hard cornering ability of the big car!!

Quick Reply: Porsche Effect on Other Drivers???