Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

944 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 12:54 AM
Default 944 engine swap

I need help. I have a 1987 944 with a bad engine. One of my friends is a pretty good mechanic and he is doing most of the work with my unneeded help. Well the problem we are at now is that we have removed most everything from the engine and are getting ready to remove it. We are going to take it out the bottom but we can not get the engine to seperate from the bell housing. I have removed the 4 bolts that hold them together but still not coming apart. There is a bolt with a nut on it that is in the housing on the bottom that is supposed to hold in another thing. The manual says to thread a 8mm bolt into the thing and pry it out. Well I did that and it did not pry out. It will not budge.

So I need help with getting the bell housing to come apart.

I also would like to know if it is better to take the engine out the bottom or if you can take it out the top. Right now we are set to take it out the bottom but it may be easier to take it out the top. We are doing this in a driveway without a rack.

thanks

Nels

Old 10-30-2005, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 944 engine swap

Out the bottom is fairly easy, remove the radiator and fans. Why are you trying to seperate the bellhousing from the engine to drop it? Drop the engine with the bellhousing attached. Take the 4 bolts off the torque tube, slide the engine forward off the driveshaft and drop it down. Leave the bellhousing on the engine to drop it. When you get to the point of taking the bellhousing off the engine, remove that bolt with the stop nut on it, then thread in a long 8mm bolt to the pin, not to where the bolt with the nut was.....the pin hole is located on the bottom of the bellhousing (You will thread the bolt into the end of the pin and knock it downwards away from the bellhousing. That bolt with the nut acts as a stop screw to hold the pin in place. Clamp a visegrip just under the head of the bolt, and hit down hard with a hammer to drive the pin out. That will release the clutch fork, which will allow removal of the bellhousing.

www.clarks-garage.com in his shop manual should help you.

Old 11-01-2005, 09:32 PM

Thanks. I got the engine out using your advise and now am off to the a few things done like getting the flywheel resurfaced and putting the starter ring on the new clutch. I found that the motor mounts were bad so I had to order some of them. I should be installing the new engine this week. I am looking forward to hearing it run!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-01-2005, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats, keep us updated!