Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Anyone gone to stock sport exaust for 996?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 09:15 PM
Default Anyone gone to stock sport exaust for 996?

Was wondering if anyone has had their 996 changed to a factory sport exaust, (The kind you can control from the dash)? Any problems with feeding the wiring through the car to the dash from the dealer? The cost out here in Calif. is about $2500. Does that seem high to you? (Don't want any after market systems)

Old 04-15-2006, 08:11 PM
Default RE: Anyone gone to stock sport exaust for 996?

I have it -- it came with my Carrera from new - I think it was $2200 or $2700, something like that. In Europe it has an RPM-activated switch that cannot be overridden, on mine, it has a switch on the dashboard, but it always starts in "loud" mode and it makes a big bellow as it starts. Overall I am pleased with it.

With the sport off (quiet), the car is just about as silent as a V6 Accord -- only a tad noisier. I always turn it to this mode in the morning when I start the car around 6 AM to head off to work -- so as not to awaken the neighbors. Then I switch the thing to sport mode a few blocks later. It is very "Porsche" like in sound - slightly louder at mild throttle and much louder but not obnoxious when at full. Cruising long distances on the highway is a bit more comfortable in quiet mode, too.

I have had the car carefully dynoed with and without the sport exhaust "on." It was an interesting dyno sheet (if I can find it I will post it): up to about 3000 RPM the sport exhaust makes no more power loud as opposed to quiet: the curves lay on top of one another. Above that it makes about 4-5 HP more. However, there are three places where the "loud" curve dips down to or below the "silent" mode for about 100 or 150 RPM range, at something like 1900, 3800, and 5700 RPM -- anyway, even multiples of the lower RPM: obviously some sort of tuning.

I think this exhaust is mostly about the type of sound, not additional power: setting aside the slightly greater amount of sound, with it off my Carrera sounds like any other car, with it on it "loud" it "sounds like a Porsche"). I would expect a really good $2500 exhaust (maybe with new headers) to do much better than 4-5 additional HP -- but it would be louder, and louder all the time.