Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Battery Disconnect

Old 03-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Default Battery Disconnect

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if the 9v adapter that goes into the cigarette lighter actually work and saves the radio stations..etc.. I have to replace a water pump on boxster and have to disable the battery.. Manual states that after disabling and reconnecting the battery, I might have to reset some system and components such as, alarm siren, control module fault memories, ECM adaptation, etc. Just wondering if anyone has used the 9v adapter that plugs into the lighter and if it works or what not. thanks for any comment

Old 03-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Battery Disconnect

There is absolutely no reason to disconnect the battery if you are doing the waterpump. But yes, a trickle charger through the power outlet will work.

Also, you will find that to do this, you will need to cut the gasket in half, and only replace the waterpump side (part of the gasket is also for the oil passages on the engine). There are 3 tabs that connect the two. Cut those three tabs, do the same on the old gasket coming out, and install the pump. Very quick job.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:15 AM

Thanks Doc. The manual stated that I must pull the seats out and disconnect it(disconnect battery first to prevent airbag going off) to get to the back cover. I went under the car to check on the pump and like the manual stated the top bolts and the belt can only be accesed from the back cover. Can I do this without taking out the seats? Do I have to bleed out the Coolant after installment?
thanks doc.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Lol, Yea, porsche also says you have to drop the engine to do a clutch in a 996TT. Idiots

Do NOT remove the seats. Move your seats forward, tilt the backs forward. Open the conv. top partially. Pop the side cables off, and pop the plastic rear holding piece out of the clips. Remove the top carpet piece. Remove the 4 plastic screw plugs holding the front carpet piece on. Remove the carpet. Remove the 10 or so 10mm bolts and nuts from the metal cover and pull it and set aside. Be careful, the edges are very thin and sharp. Remove your serpentine belt. 5 minutes tops.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:24 PM

Yeah.. didnt make sense either.. I actually moved the seats forward yesterday and saw there was enough room to work.. figured Id put some plastic on the seats so it doesnt get dirty..

lol thanks a mil doc..

PS. One thing that amazes me about the cooling system is the amount of pressure for pressure testing.. 19psi!!! the hoses must be made ofastronaut grade rubberlol.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:23 AM

where in the world do I find the adapter for a cooling system pressure tester without ordering it online???/
two days of going around pepboys, kragen, autozone, etc.. non have a clue as to what I am looking for...

Old 03-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Bleeding the system is the hard part. I have a Snap on Vacuum bleeder that will suck all the air out of the system, then shoot the coolant in. Not cheap. I just had to bleed a guy's boxster after he replaced the front radiator, because he couldn't get it bled by himself.