Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

buying porsche stripped down from dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Default buying porsche stripped down from dealer

is it true that you can buy a Porsche straight from the dealer stripped down? I mean no seats but the driver side only and race ready? is this true please please please

Old 09-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

I have never heard of that.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:33 AM

Well, some dealers will do just about anything to make money, but the answer is no: you cannot walk into any Porsche dealer and buy a "stripped" model of just any Porsche model from that dealer. But:

1) A few dealers would probably make this deal: you buy the new Porsche, paying for everything that comes on it, or ordering it with as little equipment as the factory will put on it, and then after you have bought it, their service department will remove everything you want removed (charging you for the labor, but perhaps less than they otherwise would if you make the deal for that labor at the time you buy).

2) From time to time, manufacturers make special competition models that come from the factory stripped of things like AC, passengers' seats, etc., and fitted with additional oil coolers and breakes, etc., all that aimed at racing in certain competition classes. Ferrari and Aston Martin and Marserati have all sold limited edition cars of this nature (I saw a driver's seat only version of my Aston at the dealer, aimed at Endurance racing), and I think there was a recent Dodge Viper like that (intended for racing), and in the late 60s Chevy sold a few Camaros stripped of everything but what it took to make them a great drag car. In most cases the cars are not intended for the street and some are often not licensable (no emissions legal), and the manufacturers sell them through their dealers (or at least a limited set of specially qualified ones). I expect Porsche has done this from time to time - I recall reading about some such models, GT2 or GT3 derivatives.

3) Some dealers are allied with an aftermarket manufacturers who build special models, some of which will be stripped race cars. I've seen a couple like this: some aftermarket company knocks out a dozen GT2s with modifications that fit a particular racing class and a dealer they work with sells them all.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Default porsche stripped down

thanks for the reply guys i have this guy at work he thinks he knows everything about Porsche's . But he never owned any european cars in his life.
I'm a BMW owner and have own many Bmw's in life. but now i'm looking to get a Porsche . I'm looking to get 2006 911. What do think about this models so far?