Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Default Cold air intake

Hello

I have a 2001 911 and I am looking into getting a cold air intake for it. I got some mixed reviews on HP gains. K&N claims 20 or so, hard to believe but even if it is 5-10 and the car sounds better I'm in.
The questions I have are;
What is the best one to get? Schnell (cheapest price), K&N, EVO,fabspeed or any others that are good.
Is there any down side to them? loss of low end power? engine issues?

Thanks for any infoyou can share before making a purchase, ifit's worth it it all.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Default RE: Cold air intake

I have a 2004 C2 with X51 package. This past summer I had an Evo cold air intake and full Fabspeed performance exhaust system installed. The Evo intake uses a K&N oiled cottonfilter. About a month ago, I took the car to my local Porsche dealer to get a pre-DE tech inspection. The service manager told me they generally don't like the oiled filters because they can foul the mass air flow sensor, but he said the Evo design places the sensor further away from the filter than other setups, which couldmitigate theissue. So far, with more than 3,000 miles and two spirited DEs, no problems.

While I cannot say what the intake alone provides, I can say the combination of intake and exhaust provides much more power at all engine speeds. There is no power drop-offright up to redline, andthe carhas significantly more low end pop. One fellow mentioned at the track last week that my car has a strong, distinctive sound winding out down a straight (speeds to the top of 4th gear and into 5th).

Hope this helps.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:58 AM

Thanks for your input, greatinformation to have.
I did install (a month ago)a fabspeed cold air intake. Left the screen in place and sealed around the cap.It sound better at WOT, around 4500 RPM on up. As far as power I can not notice but the sound is worth it. Filter soon to follow.
I will get performance mufflers down the road, as soon as I can. My bigest problem now is thatmy list of things have grown beyond my wallet!

Thanks again

Old 12-07-2007, 11:02 PM

Cool. Keep us posted on the Fabspeed intake. Fabspeed has exemplary customer service, too. It's a good company.

Regarding the Fabspeed exhaust, I had the entire setup installed (headers, performance cats, and mufflers). Although I'm not entirely sure, I think I've readsomewhere in this forum that some people keep the factory cats and just install headers and mufflers. Anyway, as I said before, the power difference is quite significant. My son is not quite 16,a novice driver, and still learning toengage the clutch in 1st gear. Before the intake and exhaust upgrades, he would routinely stall the car, but since the installation, the torque difference at low speeds has essentially eliminated that problem. Now he just styles off the line like his ol' man. [8D]

If you decide to get an exhaust upgrade, I recommend you consider the Fabspeed.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:26 AM

I've fitted a Fabspeed Cold Air and Hi Flow Intake to my 3.6 996 Carrera, This together with a new exhaust system and a REVO Techniks Chip has done the business for the car. Whatever Filter/Cold Air System you choose, beware of oiled filters rather than dry ones.If you get the oiling wrong then you contaminate the Air Mass Sensor which either needscleaning or replacing, because you get the orange engine warning light on, and then you need help to reset it!
See my item in General Tech "Idle Instability after Mods" About page 3/4.
Regards Bib Bob

Old 12-09-2007, 02:24 PM

I agree on the filter selection. I am currently sticking with the stock paper and looked at green and true flow but they describe oiling themwhen cleaning. I think that it is not worth the differnace on sound/performance for the risk of having issues even with minimum risk. If I find a goodhigh performance dry filter I would consider this as an option.

Thanks for the info

Old 12-24-2007, 03:43 PM

One other thing my dealer's service manager told me is that the oiled filters don't seem to foul MAF sensors until they are cleaned and re-oiled by the owners. He said they don't see problems with filters as-new, so that seems to indicate that DIYers over-oil the filters when servicing them (consistent with Big Bob's comment). Anyway, good luck.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:13 PM

Very interesting and good to know

Thanks again