Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Dead Porsche?

Old 09-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Default Dead Porsche?

My dad made my dreams come true by allowing me the use of his 1984 911 Carrera....It had been sitting for some time. He re-set the valves, took care of some vaccuum leaks and handed me the keys. I drove it for the 1st time today, all seemed OK but it smelled of burning oil a little when I shut it off, no visible smoke...just some smell. I figured it had a small leak that must be dripping onto the exhaust system and was going to let him know. Before I made it back to the house though, I looked up in the rear view and saw aHUGE cloud of blue smoke.
I've never owned or driven a Porsche before but Ihave enough common sense to realize that this was a very bad sign. I immediately checked the gauges (oiltank full, oil pressure lookedgood, temp at mid) andshut it off. I noticed that the smoke appeared to have been coming out of the exhaust...not off of the engine. No oil leaked onto the ground while I waited for the tow truck.
Is there any chance that I didn't kill the car? I don't know anything about oil/air cooled vehicles. ...terms like "head gasket", "blown seal" etc. are runningunchecked through my head. Can anyone take a stab at how serious a problem this may be and a guesstimate of cost for repairs.
Thanks to any willing to help out a clueless, scared Porsche borrower.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Dead Porsche?

That sounds like a piston ring or valve problem unfortunately.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Default RE: Dead Porsche?

PDOC is probably correct. It could also be,,, When you changed the oil did you put to much in? If so it would get sucked up into the intake ? That would make it smoke like crazy.