Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

!!! Easy out !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Default !!! Easy out !!!

Ain't that a misnomer? Dang things never work for me. So a bud has one 6mm bolt broken off in the block, he managed to get one out but still has this one in there and has just about twisted off what was sticking up (vise grips). It's a 944 stage 1 and no its not water pump bolts.
Anti seize works wonders don't it?

I was looking through a tool catalog the other day on lunch break , and came upon the add for one of those inductive electric heaters, attaches with a magnet to the rusted bolt,or what ever metal object that is to rusted or corroded to remove. Make sure you isolate the block,turn on the juice and it heats up the unremovable object.You know how well a smoke wrench works for that suff! Well this bolt, is in a place where the aluminum of the block could be damaged with a torch, and I dang sure don't want to pull the block to have it EMD'ed.

What do you think about this, there is still a portion sticking up, enough to set a 6mm nut on top of the stub, then take my wire feed welder and sticking it all together. You know how the thing heats up when you stick the welding wire from being too close!

I have a straight shot at it with a drill, so last resort is cutting it off flush, center punching, drill it out, then thread-sert it. But his process always gets my blood pressure out of spec, if you know what I mean.

Figure somebody on this site must have tried the welder trick, does it work?

I let you know how it turns out .

Old 01-27-2010, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

welding a nut on to the top is where I would start. Get it really hot by welding it, then dump ice cold water on it (cover any ports water might run into). That usually will knock anything loose and allow you to remove it. If that doesn't work....start drilling