Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

need to replace clutch 996 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Default need to replace clutch 996 turbo

hi everyone,

im looking to replace the clutch on my 04 996 turbo. any suggestions on type of clutch? the car has a chip and exhaust and is pushing about 500 HP and torque. I like an "OEM feel" or something that wont be too picky during local driving.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

I would go with a GT2 disc and a 3082 pressure plate.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:10 PM

thx doc,
a GT2 clutch and pressure plate from what maker and what do you think i am looking at in terms of cost for parts and labor

Old 02-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

IIRC it is about 1200 in parts or so. Labor books at 17 hours, though a good shop should work with you and be able to do it in half that time. Motor does not need to come out to pull the tranny (Porsche originally said it did, hence the larger labor time).

Old 02-04-2010, 11:40 AM

thx doc, while the mechanic is in there, any suggestions on flywheel if i need to replace? Also i notice throttle response seems alittle slow from 1K rpm to 3K, could that bee the chip? any suggestions?

Old 02-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Not much else to do while in there (Might have him check the bushings on the transmission mount to make sure they are in good shape while he has it out), and typically there is no need to replace the flywheel. The dual mass flywheel can be turned on a surface mill by most machine shops. For some reason people think they can not be turned, I am not sure where that myth came from. Throttle response issue you are probably feeling is the turbo lag. The turbos aren't going to kick in until 3k rpms or so. How many miles are on the car, and when were the spark plugs done last?

Old 02-04-2010, 09:16 PM

i just had plugs done in october. oddly enough the guy started out with the brer plugs and the car seemed really to accelerate fast but then there was a hop during idle, not during boost in say 2-6 gears. he replaced plugs with bosch plugs you recommended i believe the 6's and it idles much better. pretty wierd he said he never saw that, you ever experience that?

Old 02-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

The beru plugs should be fine if he used the correct heat range. These cars have really finicky electrical connectors on the coil packs, and if you absolutely do not get them clicked in correctly, it can cause weird symptoms like that. Could be that he just got one clicked in better the second time around.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:58 AM

hey doc,

he did change coil pack 2 when he did the plugs the first time. thx for that info. Also what do you think about clutch master stage 3 clutch HDRR model?

Old 02-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

You may not like the stage 3 CM for daily driving, it bites pretty aggressively. A stage II should hold up just fine for your power level. Having a full face kelvar disc is going to be smoother than the segmented disc.

Quick Reply: need to replace clutch 996 turbo