Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

radio code

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Default radio code

The multifunction keys have went missing since the time I purchased my boxster and the time I picked it up from the dealer. Of course, he takes no responsibility.
When I disconnected the battery, I lost the code and because there are no keys to program the code back in, I have no radio. Have tried the local porsche dealer for a new front, but to no avail.
Does anyone know how I can get the code back in? Much appreciated, bob black.
P.S.- thanks to tech 11 for the previous reply.

Old 05-26-2005, 01:54 PM
Default RE: radio code

I don't have an exact solution but a related story that may head you in the right direction. Couple of years ago I owned a Mazda Miata. I had the same issue with the code. I bought it used, didn't know what the current code was, and when I disconnected the battery the radio prompted me for a security code. I tried all the obvious default codes (0000, 1234, etc.) unfortunately after the 3rd attempt it locked me out completely.

After reading the owners manual, I was shocked to see it said if this occured, there was no fix and the entire head unit would have to be replaced. I called the local Mazda delaer and he confirmed that it was not fixable and a new head unit would cost me about $500!

Being an Electrical Engineer by trade, I knew this had to be BS and was starting my research for schematics, prepared to open the unit and replace or deactivate the circuit responsible for security. After hours of seraching the internet, I happend upon a Mazda forum in which an individual had discovered a procedure (non-invasive) for cracking the code lock-out. It was basically a complex series of buttom sequences on the head unit which needed to be pressed in an exact series and combination; nothing any "official" Mazda documentation eluded to. Lessons learned here were;

1. Don't always trust what the manual/dealer/manufacturer tells you. I'm sure Mazda was aware of this procedure, but they were ready to screw me out of $500 bucks!

2. If the head unit does lock you out after numerous errored inputs; the recovery procedure should still be the same. I'm betting there is a similar procedure as my Mazda had as most these security devices come off the same technology. It will just be a mtter of finding the correct sequence of inputs.

3. Pour over the internet with advanced searches; you may find a procedure (though you may need to venture to the dark side!)

4. If the car was purchased new from the dealer, there should be a build file with the default code even if you have to contact the factory in Germany.

Good Luch!

dheim14

Old 12-07-2005, 08:39 AM
Default RE: radio code

im buying a new one how much would you give me if i sold you the radio or i will send you the plate or go the any dealer or look in th epaper and go ook at one take it put the code and put it back or go the some used car place and giv ethe guy a 50 and bowwer it for 30 seconds