Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Transaxles

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Default Transaxles

Hello,

I am not a Porsche owner but I have some question regarding Porsche transaxles. For some background I have a 91 Saab 900 turbo vert that has a T5 upgrade that allows for some serious power. However the standard Saab transmission is not that strong and has a limit of around 300 hp. To get around this and have a RWD car I was thinking about putting in a Porsche transaxle. I do not know much about them in general as my specialty is Saabs.. So hopefully you guys can help me out.

For some further reasons why a transaxle. I need a transaxle because there is no room to put a standard transmission in the front of the Saab, but there is oodles of room in the back for a transaxle. I am more looking to have a car that is reliable, fast, and fun to drive. Right now its all three but with the transmission being babied its not that fun watching my friends on the drag strip. The transaxle will also balance out the car making for better handling. Most importantly it will free up space in the engine bay. Any one who has worked on a Saab knows its a cruel joke that it takes 40 min for a clutch replacement but almost 2 hours to change the belts.

I am looking for something that can handle at least 500 hp and 300+ ft lb of torque. Not having racing in mind but do not want to worry about race starts now and then, or if there is a great price on a new component, etc.

1. What models have a front engine and rear transaxle? What are their ratings for power and torque?

2.Is there any transaxle that is paired with a rear mounted engine that behaves the same as a front mounted engine? so that all that is missing is a drive shaft? What are their ratings for power and torque?

3. Is there any other suggestions for transaxle set ups from other manufactures or sources?

thanks for your help

Morgan

Old 06-04-2010, 05:52 PM

I don't think this is what you want. I'd look at the transaxle that Superperformance uses with its GT40 remake: you can buy the kit from them, I believe, or a link on their site.