Notices
Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here...

911 Sport Exhaust

Old 06-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Default 911 Sport Exhaust

I'm trying to find a copy of the installation manual for Porsche's Sport exhaust system where there is a switch on the dash that you can switch between free exhaust and normal (quiet). I had it but can't find it now.

Anyone have a copy?
Thanks in advance,
Bob

Last edited by PorscheDoc; 07-09-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Default RE: 911 Sport Exhaust

Hi Bob,

Can't help you I'm afraid, but quick question for you if you don't mind?

I'm slightly embarassed to admit that I picked a car with a sports exhaust purely on the back of driving a friend's and loving the sound! My question is - does it also have a performance impact? It's a 2003 996 C2, with the factory fit Porsche sports exhaust (the one with the switch on the dash)..

Thanks in advance

Andy

Old 01-15-2007, 12:01 PM

I remember me asking my brother that very question when he was considering adding it and he said they (Porsche)did not advertise any HP gains... however I can tell you from driving it both ways it seems to have more torque and be a little quicker. But that is all seat of the pants feel and nothing official.

FYI still looking for a copy of the installation paperwork to keep in my records if anyone has one.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:06 PM

I had my 2004 Carrera Tiptronic with factory sport exhaust dynoed at 3100 miles, with the sport exhaust in normal mode and with the switch turned on (i.e., to quiet mode). This was done on a Dynoject 240 at Carolina Auto Masters in Durham, a reputable shop with real experts and a well calibrated, no-BS dyno. The back-to-back tests were done in a way to cancel out effects ofheat soak and other descrepencies -- the test method is good enough to see about a 1% different -- (I have seen this type of test pick up the 2-3 HP gain from simply replacing a dirty stock aircleaner with a brand new one.)

The car did amaximum of about 268 RWHP either way.There was no difference at all in the two dyno curves from idle up to the red line, except at three tiny places in the RPM -- I forget where, but I think at 1800, 3600, and 5400 RPM, (not sure of the RPMs but they were multiples of one another) where the "noisy" mode dipped below the quiet mode by about 3-4 HP for about a 200 RPM range. Resonance of some sort, I figure. Anyway, with those exceptions, within that tiny band where the measured HP curve "wiggles" back and forth due to driveline wavering and noise in the system, the two curves were on top of each other all the way to the top.

I also have done relatively back-to-back (within half an hour, getting line to run again as soon as possible on a Friday night) quarter mile runs at the dragstrip with the car in both modes, and it is fastest in pure automatic mode (starting in 1st ) where it consistently runs 13.48-13.55 every time regardless of which way the exhaust is set.

By the way, this confirms my general experience. Noise doesn't make more power -- that comes from upstream flow improves in the headers/collectors/muffler entrance.

Despite that I like the feature. I hit the switch (turn the system to "quiet") every morning when I start the car about 6 AM to head in to work early: no need to wake up the neighbors.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:06 PM

Lee,

Thanks for the overview - very interesting. So, as I thought, purely in the sound then - but I don't have a problem with that! I think my car has a stereo fitted, haven't had it switched on yet

Sorry I can't help Bob, had a look through my documentation and nothing there - sorry if you feel your question got highjacked..

cheers
Andy

Old 04-13-2008, 07:59 PM

go for the sound, otherwise it could be just like every saloon car !!

gday

Old 07-09-2010, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bob259
I'm trying to find a copy of the installation manual for Porsche's Sport exhaust system where there is a switch on the dash that you can switch between free exhaust and normal (quiet). I had it but can't find it now.

Anyone have a copy?
Thanks in advance,
Bob
It's really bad that you can't find the manual. It would be good if the dealer from whom you bought can help you find a way out. Why don't you google search?

Old 07-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Post is from 4 years ago, so I am going to lock it. Last I checked there was no installation manual available other than what is in the field service manuals and addendums.