Notices
New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself...

drive the heck out of it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Default drive the heck out of it?

I just purchased a silver '99' 911 and I have heard from several people these cars need to be driven and driven hard! I'm 34 years old and consider myself blessed to own such a car at a young age, so I whats the deal. Do I need to drive the crap out of it, or can I be nice to it. I love my car and don't want to hurt it.

Kevin.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: drive the heck out of it?

Hi Kevin & welcome to the forum!

All Porsches are designed to be driven hard, but I don't think you have to drive it hard! And it's always best to let the engine warm up before you do!

It's nice to hear of someone who's not affraid to use their Porsche and not lock it away in a garage, affraid that it might get dirty, wet or both!

Have you any pic's?

Happy drivin'

Old 05-30-2006, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

You don't need to drive it hard, you just need to drive it on a regular basis. It is a car that you can drive hard though if you so desire, without fears of it grenading.

Old 06-03-2006, 12:19 AM

Thanks for the respose. It is my daily driver, and I'm just figuring out the clutch. I have driven a stick shift most of my life, but this car is different. It drives like no other car I have ever driven including my 1998 Corvette which is for sale. Wasn't looking for a new car, but my brother was selling his 911 for cheap after the purchase of a new motorhome, and I couldn't pass it up. Actually my wife pushed me to do it. She said, "When will you ever have an oportunity to own a car like this ever again". What a wonderfull woman! Anyway the car runs perfect. Just put in the K&N air filter, but do you have any tip as far as maintenance on these cars as flat 6(s) are very unfamiliar to me. I do know this car was origionally from Canada.

Don't have any pics yet as its rained a lot here in the Seattle area lately. (there's a shock!)

Thanks for any advise.

Kevin

Old 06-03-2006, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

Do not over oil the K&N filter, you will kill the Maf sensor. Other than that....drive it. They are pretty maintenance free. Plugs around 45-50k which is easy, and regular oil changes. Enjoy

Old 06-03-2006, 12:38 AM

Thanks for your time.

Kevin

Old 06-04-2006, 01:32 PM
Default Plugs are easy to change?

Plugs are easy to change? What's the best way to get at them? Is there a removeable access panel from the inside, or do you have to get at them from under the car?

I am fairly mechanically inclined, but have no idea how to get to them. The car has 70,000 miles on it and I'm sure they need to be changed.

Would appriciate any imput you might have.

Kevin