Notices
New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself...

Greetings!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 07:35 PM
Default Greetings!

Hello! I have an addiction, amazing sports cars.

let me start by saying I am glad to finally get a chance to join the site. My Porsche Odyssey began a few years ago when my old man picked up a pair of 930s. One was a ultra-clean 15K mile original, and one was a cheap clean rolling chassis. lets just say the concours class car was almost too nice to drive, so she was sold to make a great driver out of the other. That was the first Porsche I ever drove when I was 16 [sm=Awwww.gif]

I picked up a 356 in a barn a few years later for 300 bucks (guy thought it was a VW LOL!) car is all there, and it has the S motor with about 75 HP. She is still awaiting a resto (rough to say the least) but it will have to wait till AFTER the Army is done with me.

I have made some extra cash in Afghanistan, so I picked up a 12K mile Boxster S for peanuts, and gave in to temptation on a very nice 87' 930. I havent seen em' yet, but my old man is a real car guy and he says they are both beautiful and need no work. I have about a week till I get some R&R to go see em'. I will have some pictures of them up when I get back.

Since my addiction is getting a little....out of hand, I thought I should find others and tap into your collective knowledge when needed. At least here I can be with friends

Old 03-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Default RE: Greetings!

Welcome, you've come to the right place. This is a great forum. On occassion, there is a BMW dude that will try to convince you to convert to BMW.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:54 PM

Ha! not likely, I am stationed in Germany and they are as common as ford trucks in Alabama. Besides, I drove a Z4 and it had all the personality of a toaster on wheels. Competent enough, but no real "Soul". I will stick with my "old" Porsches

Old 03-30-2008, 07:57 PM

Where are you stationed? I was at Ramstein several years ago. The nice thing about living in Germany is that you can really test your Porsche. You got a helluva deal on that 356. Let me know if you find another one.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:02 PM

Right now I am in Bamberg, but I think I may transfer to a unit in Mannheim in the near future. Unfortunatly I am gonna leave my Porsches in the states while I'm gone. In Germany I use a low mile 91' Lexus SC400 (Toyota Soarer). she gets good mileage and is great on the autobahn. I am planning the "Porsche Pilgrimage" to the factory when I get back.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:03 PM

Great to have you on the forum. Be safe when you deploy!

Old 03-30-2008, 08:07 PM

As far as the 356 goes, it was total luck. it was a few block down the street from an old girlfriend. The prices on them are going CRAZY as the more "Desirable" models get harder to find, the red-headed stepkids like the B models are the only relative deals I see anymore.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:10 PM

Yeah, I've seen them for over $40K.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:10 PM

As I write I'm getting close to coming back from the sandbox, so thanks! I have been very fortunate so far.[sm=patriot.gif] How long were you in Germany? did ya find anything weird to do? like the Austrian Beer bathhouse I found (yeah, you actually bathe in Beer) its no joke.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:16 PM

I was over there for 4 years. Did a lot of travelling and loved the beer and October Fests. I had an 89 911 at the time and loved the German autobahns. I wish I was over there now with my 04 Turbo. The only time I can test my car now is on the track. I still have friends in the Ramstein area and visit there every few years. Glad to hear you're on your way back. How many more years do you have before you can punch?

Quick Reply: Greetings!