Notices
New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself...

Hello everyone

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Default Hello everyone

I just signed up for the forum. I have a 1987 Porsche 924s that I think is a suprisingly great little car to have in my collection! I bought it for a steal, then discovered that I get around 35 mpg on the highway! She is my car of choice for long road trips, and the ride is excellent!

She has been having some issues, and I have been using this site to make contacts to help with suggestions on how to correct those problems. Items that I will be working on/have already fixed are:

Done:
Rear disc brake / rotor / parking brakepad replacement
Power steering rack replacement (pump and resivoir as well)
Passenger door window motor and switch replacement
Windshield washer spray nozzle replacement
Speaker install (all 4)
Repainted all 4 phonedial wheels, and hand-painted the crest in the centercaps- looks alot better than stock!

To be done:
No-start issue (cranks but no fire)
Tune-up (new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and coil ordered 11 FEB 10)
Crank position and speed sensors
Rear hatch unlocking issues
Rear hatch frame coming loose from glass ( how do you fix THAT!?)
Sunroof operation issues
Bodywork and pain (clearcoat is peeling, and there's a couple of dents)
Drivers seat needs to be recovered
Missing button covers for center console by mirror selector switch
Windshield replacement (badly cracked)

Fortunately, I have been lucky so far on repair and ownership costs. I have a Haynes manual for a 944 (they don't make them for the 924), a copy of the 924/944 Tech Tips by George A Hussey IV, and a PDF version of the Porsche 924/944 Shop Manual used by dealership mechanics. Of course, the best resource that I have are the great folks on this forum that I have met. You all have first-hand experience doing some of the stuff that I am trying to get done, and I appreciate the help you have given!

Take care, and best of luck on your projects! Lance, aka koolsville_daddyo.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by koolsville_daddyo
I just signed up for the forum. I have a 1987 Porsche 924s that I think is a suprisingly great little car to have in my collection! I bought it for a steal, then discovered that I get around 35 mpg on the highway! She is my car of choice for long road trips, and the ride is excellent!

She has been having some issues, and I have been using this site to make contacts to help with suggestions on how to correct those problems. Items that I will be working on/have already fixed are:

Done:
Rear disc brake / rotor / parking brakepad replacement
Power steering rack replacement (pump and resivoir as well)
Passenger door window motor and switch replacement
Windshield washer spray nozzle replacement
Speaker install (all 4)
Repainted all 4 phonedial wheels, and hand-painted the crest in the centercaps- looks alot better than stock!

To be done:
No-start issue (cranks but no fire)
Tune-up (new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and coil ordered 11 FEB 10)
Crank position and speed sensors
Rear hatch unlocking issues
Rear hatch frame coming loose from glass ( how do you fix THAT!?)
Sunroof operation issues
Bodywork and pain (clearcoat is peeling, and there's a couple of dents)
Drivers seat needs to be recovered
Missing button covers for center console by mirror selector switch
Windshield replacement (badly cracked)

Fortunately, I have been lucky so far on repair and ownership costs. I have a Haynes manual for a 944 (they don't make them for the 924), a copy of the 924/944 Tech Tips by George A Hussey IV, and a PDF version of the Porsche 924/944 Shop Manual used by dealership mechanics. Of course, the best resource that I have are the great folks on this forum that I have met. You all have first-hand experience doing some of the stuff that I am trying to get done, and I appreciate the help you have given!

Take care, and best of luck on your projects! Lance, aka koolsville_daddyo.
Welcome. The 944 really is a very under-appreciated car. It is just one of the most well thought out and crisp designs ever made. I don't know if will ever get the respect I think deserves but it certainly is a design that has worn well over time.

Anything else equally interesting in your collection?

Old 02-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Default collection

Well, the 924s was bought because it was dirt cheap! We found it for 2500 locally on craigslist. When I test drove it it ran excellent! Not as fast as I would ecpect from a Porsche, but it averages 35 mpg on the highway! The things wrong with her are no big issue and I have been sorting those out a little at a time...

As far as other cars we have: Oldest to newest: 1931 Chevy ratrod, 1949 Merc with mild mods, 1958 Chevy Biscayne 2dr post mild kustom, 1960 Chevy Apache pickup mild kustom, 1965 Buick Riviera mild kustom, 1969 VW Baja Beetle, and our 1973 'Cuda. I really need to stop getting cars, but I am completely addicted. I love working on them, but it's frustrating when things like what's going on with the Porsche happen and you can't figure out what the hell is causing it! The older cars are really much easier to work on, but damn is this 924 one great little car to drive!

Old 02-15-2010, 12:54 PM

You have some lovely cars. I know what you mean about being addicted. I'm actually down to two cars now, having sold my Camaro recently and then my Tiger: as I grow older I find I like to think about more than tinker with or drive in older cars. I I ease into geezerhood, I actually find myself liking model trains, and being shocked that the hobby can make hot rodding seem cheap.

944s aren't fast fast in a straight line -- I once offended a friend by referring to it as "the anemic" Porsche. But they have more than enough power for daily driving, they are robust and easy to work on, they handle as well as just about anything modern, their lines still look fresh and neat after 25+ years, and they are a delight to drive. All in all, hard to beat.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Default 924s speed and reference sensor help needed

Howdy! Back again looking for some help and guidance. I have been trying for four days to get the old sensors out, and FINALLY the front one popped out! On to the rear one. This one is really in there, almost like there's a clip or something holding it in. I have been spraying it down daily with PB Blaster so it will hopefully break loose any gunk below the surface in the sleeve.

It spins back and forth freeley, but I cannot get that thing to budge! It's almost like the o ring is holding it in place. I looked through my toolbox and found these crazy pliers I got in a set and never used. Have a look, I have never seen some oddballs like these! They worked great on the front one, but I can't seem top get a good grip on the back one.

Pic one is the rear sensor that is giving me issues. two and three are the crazy pliers I found to try to get this effing thing out of there so I can get on with it! four is what the engineer that designed this part is gonna see right before I knock his never wrenchin' *** out for coming up with this idea!

Has anyone else come across this? What's the trick? Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Hello everyone-pict0314.jpg   Hello everyone-pict0316.jpg   Hello everyone-pict0317.jpg   Hello everyone-pict0326.jpg  

Last edited by koolsville_daddyo; 02-17-2010 at 08:35 PM. Reason: missing thoughts
Old 02-17-2010, 08:42 PM

Thanks much! They are all in various states of build / rebuild / creation. I will never want to stop hotrodding. I love to drive, but I have to do it in a cool ride that noone else has! Everyone needs a hobby, hopefully you won't completely sell off the collection! What do you have left?

Originally Posted by Lee Willis
You have some lovely cars. I know what you mean about being addicted. I'm actually down to two cars now, having sold my Camaro recently and then my Tiger: as I grow older I find I like to think about more than tinker with or drive in older cars. I I ease into geezerhood, I actually find myself liking model trains, and being shocked that the hobby can make hot rodding seem cheap.

944s aren't fast fast in a straight line -- I once offended a friend by referring to it as "the anemic" Porsche. But they have more than enough power for daily driving, they are robust and easy to work on, they handle as well as just about anything modern, their lines still look fresh and neat after 25+ years, and they are a delight to drive. All in all, hard to beat.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by koolsville_daddyo
Thanks much! They are all in various states of build / rebuild / creation. I will never want to stop hotrodding. I love to drive, but I have to do it in a cool ride that noone else has! Everyone needs a hobby, hopefully you won't completely sell off the collection! What do you have left?

Right now I have no "special" cars and I will probably stay like this. About two years ago I just decided to simplify my life both in the number of things I own and the hassles they create. It was not a matter of cost as much as just removing complexities in ones life. Now I have just the Lincoln (a great appliance) and my Aston Margin Vantage (maybe the most practical, and easiest to live with exotic you can buy). I will continue in the foreseeable future with some sort of exotic -- in two or three years probably trade the Aston on something similar (exotic but daily driveable).l
This is the first time in 36 years I have just the two daily drivers" and down from a high of six others, although usually over the last 30+ years I had only two or three play cars. Those varied all over the map, from one old, problematic Ferrari and one ex-LeMans car to '50s and '60s muscle cars to just fun foreign stuff.