Notices
New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself...

Hopefully someday...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 01:18 AM
Default Hopefully someday...

After seeing the new 911 Turbo in an auto and reading about it, I think the turbo will be my next car.

I've developed a huge interest for fast cars when I was 20. My first car is a 94 Acura Integra which I still own today and drive to work every morning.

After graduating in 2005 with my computer degree, I decided to "graduate" to something faster and bought a new 04 WRX STi which is my weekend car.

I'm not bored with the STi, but always thinking of the next faster car I want to own and I think the 911 Turbo is pretty much it. So hopefully in a few years from now.

As with all the cars I buy (excluding the Integra, lots of lessons learned there), I try to research the car throughly before I buy, so I'm here to learn about it.

A few questions to begin with:

1. I see different style wings among the 01 and 02 turbos, did Porsche change the wing? I dig the 02 style alot more.

2. How much is an oil change?

3. What kind of oil does the dealer use? I am assuming Mobil 1 synthetic.

4. At which milage are the major services required and how much do they usually run?

5. What are the weak links of the 911 turbo?

6. How well does it hold its value? I see quite a few 01's and 02's for mid 70K, which is quite affordable, but I don't want to pull the trigger on that right now. (rather wait for a used 07)

A few pic's:

Name:  P9170042.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  40.6 KB

Me detailing on the side. (PM for more details)

Name:  IMG_1158.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  128.1 KB

Cheers,

Peleg.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Hopefully someday...

Hi, nice looking "Scooby do" you have there! Do you have two, as the one in the top pic' is blue and the other is grey?

I'd love to answer all of your questions, but right now I don't have the time...

...so I'll just say hi & welcome to the forum & try and get back to you later!

Old 12-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

1. I see different style wings among the 01 and 02 turbos, did Porsche change the wing? I dig the 02 style alot more.

2. How much is an oil change?

3. What kind of oil does the dealer use? I am assuming Mobil 1 synthetic.

4. At which milage are the major services required and how much do they usually run?

5. What are the weak links of the 911 turbo?

6. How well does it hold its value? I see quite a few 01's and 02's for mid 70K, which is quite affordable, but I don't want to pull the trigger on that right now. (rather wait for a used 07)
1. There was no wing change. You are probably seeing something aftermarket.

2. Depends on the dealer. It takes 8.5 quarts of 0w-40 mobil 1 synthetic and a filter. Very easy to do yourself as well. We are an independant shop that does them for 109. Our local dealer does them for 59. Some dealers charge 250

3. See above

4. Services every 15k miles. 30, 60, and 90 are the major ones which include spark plugs which is a 6 hour job alone, plus the remainder of the service (dealer charges about 10 for plugs alone). Expect 1500-2000 for those major services. Again, plugs are easy to do yourself, they just take awhile. You have to remove the rear bumper cover, intercoolers, etc. I do them in about 2 hours, and could walk anyone through every nut and bolt that needs to be removed off the top of my head.

5. Weak links? None really. They have an occasional 2nd gear issue where it likes to pop itself out of gear if you are letting the car slow you down, but other than that, they are bulletproof. Once you get into the 650hp range, you need to go in and strengthen the internals (rods) of the engine. We go up to 1000hp in these engines.

6. The 1st owners always take the huge depreciation hit. Used the 996TT's have seemed to level out around 65-70. They probably won't move a whole lot from there. Hard to say what the 997TT values will do, they are still comanding more than sticker at the dealer.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

The blue scoobie is mine. The gray one is actually a friend's Lancer Evolution 9 MR that I detailed for him. Very fast car for the money.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Peleg

Thanks for the info guys.

The blue scoobie is mine. The gray one is actually a friend's Lancer Evolution 9 MR that I detailed for him. Very fast car for the money.
Oops, I should've noticed that they were two completly different cars.[sm=oopssign.gif]