Notices
New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself...

Just joined. new to the site, new to porsches.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:39 PM
Default Just joined. new to the site, new to porsches.

My father and I purchased a 1979 911sc two years ago, and have spent the time restoring it. The eventual design is to put the car on the track. So far we have a roll cage, seats, and a few minor upgrades on the car. I was wondering what would be a good strategy for build-up to track-ready status. Thank you for your help.

--Bryan

[IMG]local://upfiles/2558/EC9A08CE7D664226B572C56C21BAF083.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-08-2006, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Just joined. new to the site, new to porsches.

Welcome to the forum!

That's a great looking 911 you have there! (I just love the colour!)

I suppose that losing as much weight as possible (the car not you) would be one of the main things for setting up a good track day car!

Old 08-09-2006, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the advice. That color is actually the blue from a nissan 350z, ha! With the roll cage added, we probably have increased the overall weight of the car. Right now the car is sitting mostly stock, with minor suspension/brake upgrades. I would like to put about a thousand in engine upgrades just to add some quick horsepower. Is the usual free-flow air intake, and sport exhaust the best way to go? Or do porsches have other mods they react well to. Thanks for all the help.

--Bryan

Old 08-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure, as I've never prepared a track day car, but it sounds like you're gonna do the right thing to me! I'd love to take my Porsche on the track, but I'm scared I'll end up with a big bill at the end of it!!

Old 08-09-2006, 03:07 PM

No doubt! An expensive bill at the end of the day worries me as well. I plan on taking several drivers ed classes before getting serious about throwing it around the track. I believe the progression for this car will be less street, more track eventually. That is a couple of years from now, so just getting used to the car is a priority.

Checked out your web page, really like the color on your car as well! Looks sharp.

--Bryan

Old 08-09-2006, 09:07 PM

ORIGINAL: CTiggerPigglet

I suppose that losing as much weight as possible (the car not you) would be one of the main things for setting up a good track day car!

Well, you know, losing weight yourself doesn't hurt, either . . . a pound in the car is a pound in the car. When we take my 'vette to the track I let my son drive it - same height, but fifty pounds less weight -- I have spent a lifetime building up a really fine layer of insulation around my midsection and upper body of which I am so proud.

and of course, my son's 25-year-old reflexs don't hurt on the speed shifts, either.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:54 PM

Hahahahaha! Nice. That is probably true of my dad and I. About the same height with me having a little less in the mid section. I hope my 28 -year old reflexes keep us out of the wall. Who knows that, "age and experience versus youth and bravado" might work either way.

We have stripped the back seat out and just carpeted it off. Took out the factory seats and put in light racing seats. The roll cage stiffens the chassis, and we put a strut bace up front. The front bumper has come off, and an aftermarket fiberglass bumper with scoop for our aftermarket oil cooler was put on. The spare tire is gone. At this point a little more horsepower should make a noticeable difference. I appreciate all the input. I just want to make this thing right, and build it with a minimum of setbacks! (which of course are part of any car rebuild)

--Bryan

Old 08-09-2006, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

If you want a good set of headers and muffler, look into SSI. Not much you can do to an SC for more power short of opening the engine.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:41 PM

Okay. So lets say I put headers, muffler, air intake, and the aftermarket oil cooler already installed on the car. What kind of cash and horsepower gain am I looking at. Ball park figures. I appreciate the info Porsche Doc.

--Bryan

Old 08-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Figure a little under 2k for the headers and muffler. I'll have to do some digging on an intake for the SC, I am not sure if there is anything out there due to the design.