Notices
New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself...

New girl.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 01:20 AM
Eos
Default New girl.

Hello everyone. I have very recently became interested in buying a Porsche. I test drove an 87 924 and fell in love. I'm here to learn as much as I can about them. Which may help influence my buying decision. Are the 924's and 944's reliable? That is a big factor in my decision because I'm looking for daily driveability. I have a 96 Mitsu eclipse and I have found it to be very unsatisfactory when it comes to reliability. [:'(]

Old 06-29-2005, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New girl.

Reliable, not really....they are 20 year old vehicles that require a lot of attention (maintenance) on average. Most 944 owners would agree that about $1000 in maintenance is required a year to keep the cars on the road. There of course are exceptions, some guys find a 944 that only require gas and oil, but that is pretty rare from what i have seen. I drive my 944 turbo daily, rain, snow, whatever, but it requires a lot of up keep to keep it on the road, and while the cost to keep it going hasnt been astronomical, it is because the only work i havent done on it was the alignment. I would say i am over the $1000 a year mark, but i have done belts, rollers, waterpump, clutch, etc...all the major stuff. There are 2 things i tell everyone who is looking into a 944/24, that is #1: You can't afford the car if unless you can do your own maintenance (or make very good money, and in that case probably are looking at a 911), and #2 Have a second vehicle available for when it does break down (Ie, it is hard to get parts for these cars locally, usually when you need a part, you can plan on a week to order it from one of the parts houses online who have the best prices).

Old 07-04-2005, 06:50 AM

I agree with the DOC!! If you want reliability buy a newer model or even better lease a brand new bosxter

Old 07-09-2005, 06:13 PM

The 924 is a great car although not a "real" Porsche. The Audi engine is strong.
I have a friend who experienced difficulties with the electrical system. But again the engine is great and the car is usually realiable.

Put your finger in the exhaust pipe (when it is cold, of course). It should not been wet nor oily, but dry instead. Check the engine starts easy (warm and cold). Check on the maintenance. The most important, is that oil has been changed on a regular basis. When you accelerate, there should not be blue fume.

See you.

Silka (WV)