Notices
New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself...

New Guy

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Default New Guy

greetings,

Just wanted to say "hi". I'm totally new to the Porsche scene and I basically know nothing. I have been into the performance car scene for a while, but not completely, and I have also been in the bmw scene for a good amount of time as well. I currently own a '95 Bmw M3 and I guess that my next car should be a porsche, but this won't be for a long time. I just decided that I should start my research early haha

Old 12-05-2005, 04:29 PM
Default RE: New Guy

Good to start early with the reserach for your next car. M3s are nice cars but carry some compormises because they are a modified, even if factory modified, version of a standard production sedan/coupe. Porsches don't have that limitation and you can tell every time you drive one.

"Every car wants to be a Porsche" when it grows up."

Old 01-16-2006, 05:28 AM

Well, the E46 M3 is pretty much an animal by itself as it is completely different than the regular 3 series. Body shell is about the only thing carried over and even then the rear fenders are flared out, rear sub structure is different for the M5 rear end, front uses completely different suspension parts too including solid ball joints, a arms and a K brace. Brakes, engine, trans everything is different and it drives nothing like my 2002 330Ci. Older versions were less separated from the production variants. www.hotbimmer.com/articles/view.asp?linkid=389 is a good overview of the differences. I do agree though, Porsche does focus on sports cars only but BMW also is focused on sports sedans. Being focused on one common objective only makes sense that the marque would be experenced and have the resources to be "specialized". My 944 is nothing near my M3 in any way imaginable, but it is still a fun car and I like being different and having an old car that is in such good shape I feel guilty putting miles on it. I have driven a Boxter and loved the gear box, but the M is faster and has a back seat. I figured the Boxter more competition for My 330 than the M3 anyway. A 911 4S would be the car I think if I were to replace the M but that isn't happening. Alot of BMW guys end up getting Porsche's or own them too. I love German cars as they drive like none other. I love the newer Porsche's and appreciate the old, but the newer M3's are not another coupe with a body kit and a faster engine slapped in. It is much deeper than that. Have love for all German cars...

Old 01-16-2006, 08:08 AM

The point about the BMW M series, etc., is you can talk about the body being different or the changes made to the engine, but all of them started out as designs meant to be sedan grocery getters -- maybe really good ones, but sedans. Porsches, whether 944, 968, 911 or 928, were designed from the git-go to be what they are - performance cars. It shows. Pure bred DNA.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:42 AM

the 944 is not a good comparison as even my 330 stomps it in every catagory. The difference in years though is great. For the time the 944 was phenominal. The newer Porsche's hands down are the **** but I can't afford what I want. I do love this 944, it is the most tractible next to my gti and is smooth. The gearbox is like butter and also very positive feeling. It could use stiffer suspension and lower profile rubber. The power I can't do much about. This car is fine as it is though. I was not ******* on Porsche, just rebuking what was said about the M3 which also has a racing pedigree, 50/50 weight balance ect. I agree you can only do so much to a design to make it better. M has done an incredible job on the E46 M3 and if you don't believe me there are tons of magazine articles and awards to prove it beyond just my own opinion. Is it better than Porsche? depends on what the criteria are. If I did not have a need for some useable space and money was no object I'd have a Carrera GT in a heartbeat. I would also love to have a 4S. You can not deny that BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, Audi and even VW build very well balanced, intuitive cars. VW owns Porsche before you say anything derogatory about VW. I would not have bought a starter Porsche if I did not think they were good cars. Especially a 21 year old one at that. The Porsche, yes, is designed from the ground up as a sports car and shows it. The BMW I think is a nice compromise of functionality. We good?

Old 01-19-2006, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

VW owns Porsche before you say anything derogatory about VW.
I'm sorry my friend, VW don't and never have owned Porsche!

Porsche have always been an independent company, infact, Porsche now own a percentage of VW.

Old 01-19-2006, 04:39 PM

Yes, it is important to get the facts right. Porsche now owns 20% of Fau-Vey, and they never owned any part of Porsche.