Notices
New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself...

New Guy from NJ

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 11:39 PM
Default New Guy from NJ

Just wanted to drop my first post here. Over the past 4 months I have gone back and forth between a new Pontiac Solstice or a 2001 or 2002 Porsche. Im only 21 and graduating school in May and I wanna kick life off right w/ a Porsche and move up in models as my salary will allow. Ive heard from you guys that the lates 1990 models have had problems but the 2001s and up are fine, is this standard for the Boxster model years? I guess its all relative on the prior owner and how things were kept. One last thing howmuch do oil changes and things go for on these cars? Someone told me $70, is this true? Looking forward to be involved in the forum.

Thanks
Len

Old 11-26-2005, 09:40 PM
Default RE: New Guy from NJ

Maintenance and service at the dealer is usually ridiculously expensive. If you do it yourself (how hard is it to change oil and check filters) it is only a little bit more expensive (Porsches take a bit more oil than most cars. ).

Old 11-28-2005, 04:28 PM
Administrator

stay away from the slowstice!!

Old 11-28-2005, 05:21 PM

I think the Solstice is a nice car for someone who wants to own a sporty, top-down car but not be much involved with it.

Frankly, I think a Miata would be a better car for the money (I've read all the comparison tests). In particular there is NO PLACE for anything more than a briefcase's worth of luggage (really, check it out)

HOWEVER, if I were possessed by the "have to buy GM demon" and wanted a Solstice, I would wait and buy a Saturn Sky - same car with slightly different styling and trim. They had one here in Cary NC two Sundays ago at the dealer, doing a photo shoot. Dark blue with tan leather. I just happened by (I always go out on Sunday mornings for an hour or two in the 'vette). I watched them shoot for a while and then followed it as they drove it down to fill it up at the gas station and talked to the factory rep.

The Sky is a very attractive, well trimmed car, quite pretty, I thought. Quite amazing how slight differences in fender shape and particularly discrete use of chrome trim can make such a difference. I think the Solstice is butt-ugly, but the Sky is beautiful (my sincere apologies to any and all Solstice owners).