Notices
New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself...

no start new guy

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Default RE: no start new guy

Ok, spark tester shows no spark, wires have no visable cracks or drying out, coil wire does give me a continuity reading though i have no idea of the specs as far as ohms. Do you know where to get or order a quality coil cause ive only seen them for as little as 70$ and thats for an off brand. What you said does make sense It looks original equip.

Old 12-28-2005, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

If you measure the resistance across the 2 terminals, it should read .4-.6 ohms. I just read that it was an S, so there is a hall sensor that comes into play as well. I can't remember off the top of my head how to test that, but IIRC it requires an osciliscope. I can get you a new bosch coil with is OEM for 60 bucks plus shipping if we find out that is the problem. you should have 12volts at the coil, when testing from positive to ground and negative to ground (both will read 12v) Black wire is negative and the green wire is positive. You can also test the resistance between the negative terminal (green wire) and the coil output, it should read between 5000-7200ohms.

Old 12-28-2005, 09:33 PM

The ohms on the two posts looked ok, the one from ground to output on 20K setting reads 5.43, do i just not have the correct setting on this meter? And i get 14.3V from all three (individually) w/ignition on, but only 12 something from battery

Old 12-29-2005, 01:29 AM

did some reserch on the hall sensor and found that it most comes into play with sequential fuel fireing and i belive mine is that kind that fires two at once then the other two and the hall sensor is just a fine tuner for that. Does that sound halfway right to you? I might have the terminoligy wrong. But i found in one case the car ran without it. because it had a distributor ignition system, as apose to that sequential fireing. As far as the reference sensor does anyone know if it comes out of the back of the dist. housing? I'm going to post that question somewhere.

Old 12-30-2005, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

I just pulled the coil out of my car and replaced it with a new one. It still works, though i dont know how old it is, or how much time it has left, but if you want a cheap (as in free) way to rule out the coil, PM me your address and i will ship it out on tuesday.

Old 12-31-2005, 05:07 PM

after testing the coil again im finding its only sparking once or twice every ten taps and very faint at that. The injector pulse is a good test, should have done that first, would have saved a lot of time, thanks. Ive ordered a coil and wires. ill let you know how it turns out. This is my third Porsche and one thing ive learned is my next Porsche will be new with a warentee So how is yours comming along? I think i posted a pic of my car, where is your machine. Im kinda interested in what one would do with all this knowlege. So im going to go put the rest of the car back together now.

Old 12-31-2005, 05:12 PM

never mind i saw the pics. how do you do the post the pics like you did there is a lot more of the car i could share. Im big into the stereo end of it. OF course you wont ever hear my bumper & plate ratteling, cause when its louder outsind than inside....waist of time.