Notices
New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself...

Noobe soon to be Porsche owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Default RE: Noobe soon to be Porsche owner

ORIGINAL: Project 951

Whoa you have a CBX! That's wild! looks to be in good condition too...

It's like new, I restored it myself, new paint, exhaust, seat, tires, battery, gas tank, petcock, etc. Runs like a champ. I painted it myself to factory specs plus with a 3 part pearl then finished with about 4 coats of clear, wet sanded and buffed like glass. Actually, the pictures don't do it justice.

Here's a close up of the engine, had the valve covers and exhaust Jet Hot coated so they wouldn't tarnish or turn blue.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: LS1fan

I gotta tell you though, if this really does come out in the next couple of years like VW/Bugatti promises for between 60 and 70 thousand, I will definitely buy one. It's the new 4 cyl. turbo Bugatti designed to compete with the Boxster, Audi TT, and cars in that class. If they all don't come out with something better, this car is going to wreck them! The only thing to stop them from owning this segment, is they only plan on making 5 to 6 thousand cars every year.

I wouldn't hold your breath! Look how long it took for the Veyron to make it into the showrooms! It's a beautiful car though, though it does look alot like an audi TT with a Bugatti grill.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:27 PM

[/quote]

I wouldn't hold your breath! Look how long it took for the Veyron to make it into the showrooms! It's a beautiful car though, though it does look alot like an audi TT with a Bugatti grill.

[/quote]

Good point.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:41 PM

Welcome.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:24 PM

Thanks.

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

Welcome.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:08 PM

I note you went with a wet kit on your NOS. Was there a reason you went with that rather that a dry kit (not wanting to change the injectors, etc.) or something else. I managed to get about 130 RWHP out of a dry set up on my Camaro, -- I think we could have got more (the ECM was seemed capable of handling it with more programming) but had to go wet when we wanted about twice that.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:54 PM

I note you went with a wet kit on your NOS. Was there a reason you went with that rather that a dry kit (not wanting to change the injectors, etc.) or something else. I managed to get about 130 RWHP out of a dry set up on my Camaro, -- I think we could have got more (the ECM was seemed capable of handling it with more programming) but had to go wet when we wanted about twice that.

Exactly, I thought it was a good bang for the buck without having to change my injectors. I have it set up for a 100 shot, but it came with Jets to go up to 200, if I recall it was 100, 150, 175, 200. I was also told it was a little safer. I have yet to use it though. I only intend to use it at the track. BTW Nice cars, that C5R must be a beast.

Old 10-27-2006, 09:36 PM

Actually, the C5R is quite civil. My goal was gobs of power but stock around town performance. It6 took over a year of fussing and tuning -- a couple of times I really thought we would never get it right, but i have it now. The power is completely unuseable: I run 345 drag radials on the rear but it will light up the tires if I am not careful in any of the three lower gears. Does very low 10s in the quarter -- has the power to do 9s but can't get the traction (I won't run slicks, too much stress on the rear end and frame during the launch). Still, it does 0-150 with two on in less than 14 seconds -- pretty good, I think.

The Camaro, on the other hand, is very cool. High nines on slicks. It is licensed and legal on the street and we sometimes cruise in it on weekend nights. Roll cage, no sound insulation, solid motor mounts. Electric cutouts. Locker rear axle, traction bars, race clutch, etc. A pain in the butt to drive on the street, mostly because of the locker rear axle. But 520 RWHP N.A. and about 800 with full wet NOS. It can just barely lift the front tires off the ground at launch with street tires (low pressure drag radials) and has a real attitude: totally politically incorrect I l0ove it

On the other hand, I drive the Porsche daily. It is simply the nicest, most civilized car I have ever owned. A perfect automtive companion. But you will understand when I say it does not feel very powerful, and that I saw no reason to throw more money into it to get a Turbo (still not powerful enough to make any difference).

Old 10-27-2006, 10:12 PM

Actually, the C5R is quite civil. My goal was gobs of power but stock around town performance. It6 took over a year of fussing and tuning -- a couple of times I really thought we would never get it right, but i have it now. The power is completely unuseable: I run 345 drag radials on the rear but it will light up the tires if I am not careful in any of the three lower gears. Does very low 10s in the quarter -- has the power to do 9s but can't get the traction (I won't run slicks, too much stress on the rear end and frame during the launch). Still, it does 0-150 with two on in less than 14 seconds -- pretty good, I think.

The Camaro, on the other hand, is very cool. High nines on slicks. It is licensed and legal on the street and we sometimes cruise in it on weekend nights. Roll cage, no sound insulation, solid motor mounts. Electric cutouts. Locker rear axle, traction bars, race clutch, etc. A pain in the butt to drive on the street, mostly because of the locker rear axle. But 520 RWHP N.A. and about 800 with full wet NOS. It can just barely lift the front tires off the ground at launch with street tires (low pressure drag radials) and has a real attitude: totally politically incorrect I l0ove it

On the other hand, I drive the Porsche daily. It is simply the nicest, most civilized car I have ever owned. A perfect automtive companion. But you will understand when I say it does not feel very powerful, and that I saw no reason to throw more money into it to get a Turbo (still not powerful enough to make any difference).
They all sound like a lot of fun. Seems like you have all the bases covered. I'm looking to the Porsche in a similar light, nice civilized daily driver that I can still have some fun with. I was going to supercharge the Corvette, but I also have the same problems with traction, although not to the extent that you have. If I go too crazy, I wont be able to hook up without at least drag radials and and like you said, slicks are way too much stress on the drivetrain. I have a pretty bulletproof setup as far as the transmission and rear end with the output shafts on the rear end being the weak link. I think I have pretty much done everything to the Vette I need to, it's really fun to drive and dialed in with great street manners. Although not a fast as your Corvette, I have yet to lose a race, although, with my lopey cam and pretty much straight through exhaust (B & B Bullets) it's getting harder and harder to get anyone to race. At WOT it sounds like a Pro Stock.

Though it's obviously a straight line car, it sounds like there's not too much on the street that can beat that Camaro. Thats pretty much the direction I'm taking with my 454SS pickup. I'm just starting the build up now and the only for sure things I'm doing now are intake manifold/heads/cam/supercharger as far as the engine, with long tubes and 3" exhaust. Then a built trans and I'm leaving the stock 4:11's. Should be a pretty stout setup and look pretty stock with the exception of the cowl hood. Going to surprise a lot of people with that one.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:18 PM

The SS454 ought to be a great thing when you are finished. I've thought about a truck lately because I would like to build up something with 1000+ RWHP for the street -- and a truck has plenty of real estate under the hood, and 4-wheel drive to put it to the ground. Who cars it if weights 4400 lbs by the time I'm done -- 1000 RWHP, or more, would mean that did not matter.

I saw where GMHP Parts has a new cast iron LSX block that is decked for more than 1/2 longer stroke - up to 480 cubic inches. I dream about a big bad Chevy truck with that block, ARP big-port heads and a Procharger pumping 15 lbs into it.

By the way, I think you will prefer the Carrera to the Cayman. Both are great cars but the Carrera is just a tad better as a civilized daily driver, and a good weekend trip car. Its worth the slight difference in price. Plus, it has 42 years of heritage, hard to ignore.

Quick Reply: Noobe soon to be Porsche owner