Notices
New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself...

Nubie here..

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Default Nubie here..

hey everyone, the names eric, my pops just bought a 2002 porsche cabriolet, and since he really isnt computer literate, i figured i would join these forums for both of our sakes. the car is truly beautiful. i havent ridden in it yet, but he has and said its the quickest thing hes been in since he was a kid. i myself own a 2000 mitsubishi eclipse. i love doing work on my own car and hopefully will get to do some work on his car with your help. i also just started working at a garage that does a lot of porsche work. my boss currently has 2 944's in it, but i dont think i will be working onn those any time soon. i am glad to be a member of these forums and hope i can gain the same knowledge that most of you possess. Thank you.

Eric

Old 11-01-2006, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Nubie here..

Hi Eric, welcome to the forum! How about posting some pic's of your Pop's Porsche in the gallery?

Old 11-02-2006, 08:56 PM

Hi, Eric, and welcome. Congrats to your Dad on his purchase. Actually, I've found that the 944 is very mechanic friendly; it's very well engineered in that regard, especially the top end of the engine. Probably the most intimidating thing about 'em is the balance shaft/timing belt setup, but those aren't that difficult, it's just a matter of procedure (and having the tension gauge). Ask your boss to let you assist on 944 work; you'll see what I mean. Once you get behind the wheel of a 944, especially an S or turbo model, you may find yourself selling your Eclipse to buy one. It's also probably the most economical Porsche to operate and relatively inexpensive to purchase.

Old 11-10-2006, 03:08 AM

thanks guys, hey vonov, believe me i would love to own something like this, but i work part time at a shop like i said, and i am a full time college student, there is no way i would be able to afford one. i am actually saving up some money to build up my eclipse within the next couple of years, it is a 2.4 liter n/a motor, i am going to build up the bottom end, new pistons, rods, crank, etc, and get an evo head swap, slap on a garret gt35r turbo, its supposed to spool at 3.5 grand on the 2.0 liter eclipse, so it should spool a little sooner on mine, it would also put out about 600 hp on my motor with minor fuel system upgrades, from what i hear, my block can hold about 35ish psi too, so, ya. the other stuff is obvious, such as clutch and tranny.. the only downside is that my car is fwd, so that will be a pain to launch. but it will still be fun to play with. o, btw, i got some pictures in my album. the album is called estraw