Notices
New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself...

Signed up to learn before purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 12:54 PM
Default Signed up to learn before purchase

hello,

My name is Greg. I am an architect in louisiana. I currently own an Mazda RX8, but in about a year and half I will be on the look for an '85 to early 90's 911 carrera. I have bought a few books on what to look for and how to buy, but there is nothing like a good forum to iron out all the wrinkles!

I've pretty much eliminated the 2.7 engines (stud issues), but I would like to hear anybodies opionions on what to look for and how to go about the whole thing.

I want to work on the car too. I use to work on engines and take cars apart (and maybe more importantly putting them back toether in my spare time, hotroding them up an so on - but never a boxer engined car (or air cooled for that matter). I do have most tools I will need in my garage - including air tools. So one of my first questions will be: How hard is it to work on a car for the mechanically inclined? I dont want a complete lemon to work on, just a car with decent miless - say 70k or so in good running condition that I can use for an everday driver.

Anyway, too many questions just yet.

Just want to say hello and how to learn somthing.