Notices
New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself...

Who can afford a vacation paying 4 bucs a gallon

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Default Who can afford a vacation paying 4 bucs a gallon

Gas costs are killing my livlihood. Nobody can afford to vacation. We have to take less hours. Supply and demand is bull.

More than six of 10 North Americans say it's important they escape from home this year, a Gallup Poll finds. And many say they are finding ways around high petrol costs, airfares and hotel rooms to do it.
"Rising gas prices won't at all affect my vacation," claims Richard Miller of Plano, Texas, who's flying to San Francisco in July with a ticket he scooped up in a fare sale. "I'm going."
The poll indicates that USA citizens are prepared to pay more to get away this summer : 71% of the people that tend to travel say they expect to spend more on transportation this year, and 44% plan on paying rather more for food, lodging and entertainment.
Pay more they can. Nearly every facet of travel in the States costs more than it did last year, with the summer travel season starting in under two weeks, on Memorial Day weekend

Old 05-21-2011, 04:02 PM

Well, it still strikes me as a bargain, and I guess I look at it differently since I have a ton of oil company stocks.

But it really is not that bad. I will be driving from Raleigh North Carolina to central Texas on vacation later this year: 1350 miles -- two and half day drive if you take it easy like we do, each way. My little Lincoln MKZ gets about 28 mpg - call it 27 even and that is 100 gallons for the round trip. So, gas at $4 costs $400 dollars rather than $250 dollars if only $2.50 a gallon. $150 difference, in 5 days of driving, isn't going to make any difference really in the cost of a ten-day vacation.

Just think of what they are paying in England an Europe and count yourself lucky.