Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic... Almost anything goes...

24 Hours of LeMans

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Default 24 Hours of LeMans

My father and I are planning a trip to the 2011 24 Hours of Lemans and was checking to see if anyone else is going or has gone? We are going to make it a 10 day trip.

What sites would you recommend seeing, we were thinking the race and at least Stuttgart/Zuffenhausen?

We are probably going to rent a small RV or Sprinter Van so we can camp at the race and then drive from place to place and stay in hotels for the remainder of the trip.

Thanks for the help

Old 10-10-2010, 08:27 PM

Well, I think you would find a lot of good stuff to see right around LeMans. There is very famous wine country nearby (the Loire Valley) and there are gobs of the most famous Chateaus, etc., all over the place: on e is Chateau de Chenonceau -- the very famous one in all the travel posters, that is built right over the river Cher, and many more spectacular. Lots of French countryside and small towns with markets. Chartre and its fine Cathedral -- maybe the prettiest in Europe -- are nearby. We spent a very lovely two weeks there about fifteen years ago, staying in small Chateau B&Bs and picnicing for lunch in the countryside each day. Very memorable.
Stuttgart and Zuffenhausen are far away, and frankly, among the least impressive things to see in Europe. Marennello is a lot more fun, but also far away -- I'd skip car related stuff completely - LeMans will give you all that you need. Its more circus than serious auto thing by the way, unless you have friends who have an entry and can get you inside (I had friends at Alfa but the circus aspect still made in annoying - worse than any Nascar race.