Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic... Almost anything goes...

Peloponnese - what to do

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 02:53 PM
Default Peloponnese - what to do

My wife and I have traveled a lot around the Mediterranean and, years ago, we spent some time in Athens and the islands, but we have never been to the Peloponnese. We will be there during the first two weeks of September. Can you recommend one or two towns that would make good base camps for day trips around the Peloponnese? If anyone had any information regarding the buses or taxi?

We prefer to stay away from big cities and tourists resorts. We like to be very active during the day: sea kayaking, hiking, biking, snorkeling, diving, swimming and paragliding. In the evenings, we like to soak up the culture and enjoy local wine and food.

Thanks!

Old 06-06-2020, 05:33 AM

You might like to explore the Mani region, in which case Oitylo/Limeni (very small), Kardamyli, or Gytheio would be good bases. Or southern Messenia, maybe stay in the town of Pylos which is pleasant. I can highly recommend places in the interior of the Peloponnese esp. Arkadia but there is no sea there - and while the Lousios River is known for rafting but I think not in September! Think about the Argolid too, not Nafplio as it will feel too big and touristy for you, but one of the towns along the coast of the peninsula perhaps.
Mani is great for hiking, there are excellent (marked in many cases) trails and abundant literature/maps are available so you won't get lost. I can personally recommend this area. Great coast, great hiking, great local culture.
https://hellenictaxi.com/destination/peloponnese/ do great transfers, reasonable prices and really prompt.